index.php?sid=4a2c0302717b2d86869eb48b03381615 AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protecting your back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elitzur1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Protecting your back Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
I have purchased the expedition some two months ago. It is a very good buy and handles mediterranean waves and winds very well. However I find it very heavy, especially when wet and sandy. Additionally, I find pumping to be very strenous on my lower back. I thought someone may benefit from my short experience: 1. I carry the duffel bag with straps on my shoulder and bag slung on the back, as far back as possible. The best way is to lift it (ie on the car's engine hood), and take it on your shoulder from there. Anther possibility is to take the straps on both shoulders as a backpack. I don't take it any distance lifting it with one hand only. 2. Use the hand pump sitting down, bracing it with your feet (it is slanted). This way the strain is on the hands, not the back. I believe this simple advice may be of help since it is different than what is seen on youtube. Would be happy to hear ideas on the subject.
diemonde

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You also could think about the following:

Some days ago I saw someone with an inflatable (other brand, don't know which) and it had a trolley to store it on. I guess it isn't to hard to make some sort of trolley with oversized wheels to go on sand.

For the pumping: there are several pumps with a battery. They aren't that price either.
dspid2404

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cart that AE sells (AE3010, see accessories) works pretty well, especially if you have to carry the kayak any kind of distance. I removed the straps and use bungy cords that stretch around the kayak tightly. The straps were a bit of pain to deal with. I have used it on several surfaces including sand and it has performed well. Much easier than carrying it any day. Only problem is that its one more item you have to lug back to the car. Such is life.
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of accessories to look at...

AE2003 12V electric pump
AE3010 Kayak Dolly
AE2016 Compact Cart
AE3011 Kayak Pack (due out in August 2011)
AE3003 Roller Duffel
elitzur1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: