index.php?sid=da972d412d5dc16430f03c667afa7bbb AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding D-Rings to your kayak.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Repairs, Cleaning & Maintainance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Adding D-Rings to your kayak. Reply with quote

There are a couple of methods for adding extra D-Rings to your kayaks.
1. Sew them on
2. Glue them on
For those who are not located near a seamstress or dry cleaner who could sew some D-rings to your outer cover, then option 2 of gluing is your only choice.
I recently did some research for this option and we tested it out on the material. We found that you can get a D-ring that is attached to a PVC patch base and this can then be glued to the High Density Polyester outer cover of you kayak. We tested it using three different types of glue.
1. Glue that is in the repair kit
2. McNett's Seam Seal
3. Vynabond from NRS
All three glues held just fine. Seam Seal was the messiest while the other two were much cleaner. Any of the glues applied to the graphics on the kayak will cause the graphics to smear.
I also looked up where to find some D-rings attached to PVC patches. Here are a few internet locations. Mind that the patch sizes are typically 4" to 6".
1. Seattle Sports has a 4" patch that is black they sell for $4
Amazon has the exact same for $2.17
2. NRS has a 4" patch that is gray for $5.95 and a 6" for $8.95
3. Cascade Outfitters and Amazon sell the same 4.5" for $7.25 and 6.5" for $14.50. You can get the patches in a variety of colors.

Recap: If gluing D-rings, that are attached to a PVC based patch, is your only option to attaching them to the outer cover of your kayak, then you can refer to the choices mentioned in this post.
If you have any other methods that have been used, please do share!

Jeremy
JimD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an alternative method here http://kayaksailor.wordpress.com/2010/08/12/d-ring-patches/ which would definitely void your warranty, but looks very neat. Jeremy, when you tested the glues, did you check what glues could be used on the inside if the hull casing? I'm thinking of adding rings just above the welded seam between top material and the wetted area.

I have a cunning plan Wink I reckon if I set up a pair of outrigger floats I could rig a low tarp over the hull and sleep afloat without risk of being blown over, or tipping over in my sleep. A plus when I can't find a campsite. But rings to clip the tarp down would be essential
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimD,

The same glues will work on all of the material. We tested three glues and found all three to work.

The glue in the repair kit
Vynabond
Aquaseal

The Aquaseal was the messiest but got the job done.
sonar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sonar on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
JimD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to your repost Sonar, I knew I'd seen it somewhere after your pics had disappeared on this thread! I'm not sure that a sewn-on patch would move and leave no trace though. Less than a glued patch, I admit.

Yep, it can be cold on the water, but the dinghy cruising association has had a lot of practice at that. You need a good sleeping bag, and a brew up in the morning I reckon!

My current idea is to do a bit of canal paddling, and since they won't let you camp on the towpath (unless you're a fisherman it seems), being able to moor and sleep sounds good. I joined the BCU so I'm even licensed!

A tarp lashed flat over the whole thing would also let me 'lock up' when I leave it to go to the pub^h^h^h shops
sonar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sonar on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
JimD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sonar,
I'll take it to PM rather than derail the thread even more!

Jim
marcelomelloramos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I see pictures of the post?
ronnielim

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is how i did mine

also added a skeg
Pearly

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!
Windnut

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding D-Rings to your kayak. Reply with quote

I found another method that has worked real well on my Expeditions without gluing or cutting. I use these tarp clamps to bungy down my fishing crate and
my waterproof deck bag because the existing d-rings weren't in the right location. I just put the tarp clamps on the big folded seam that holds the top and bottom of the Expedition together. They don't seem to cause any damage and can be moved to anywhere up and down the sides of the kayak.
I had these clamps to hold down my RV cover and they work great. This is one of the brands but there are lots of others in my local hardware stores.
http://www.easyklip.com/
ronnielim

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my main purpose is fishing so i need alot of those D rings ... Very Happy
Windnut

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really need the extra D-Rings until I started fishing and with the Nylon cover on the Expedition kayaks I wasn't sure how well the glued on ones would work. With the PVC on the Straight Edge kayaks the glued ones with the backing look great and are tough enough to handle fishing abuse. I'm not using a lot of fishing gear other than a milk crate strapped down on the deck with Pearly's PVC deck lift which works great also. Lot's of great ideas on this forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Repairs, Cleaning & Maintainance All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: