index.php?sid=46386dd8dcac57f458ecb32c15ee150d AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

non-functioning pressure gauge on hand pump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bettyv

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: non-functioning pressure gauge on hand pump Reply with quote

Sad The pressure gauge on AE double action hand pump doesn't function. I removed it and rescrewed, assuming maybe it was loose; also checked the slotted seating to assure tight. Is this a defect or am I missing a step I could try? p.s. After replacing and repairing a pinhole in the kayak tube, I struggled getting it repositioned well in the cover. Finally discovered lying down inside I could use my feet to align it correctly in the prow! Love the product! ....kyakween
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are inflating the kayak with the two main valves closed in the inflate position, you won't get an accurate reading. The gauge gets a reading by receiving back flow of air from the valve. In order to get this back flow, the valve needs to stay open. You can inflate the kayak with the valve open in the deflate position. When you get to the proper psi, you can quickly close the valve and then top it off with some more air. If you try this method and the gauge still isn't giving you a reading, then your gauge is broken and you can contact Advanced Elements to get a replacement.

Jeremy
Cool
kriska

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: the same problem with pressure gauge here Reply with quote

I have the same problem (also unscrewed the gauge). I pumped the "twist"-valves and the gauge indicated zero in every valve.
I have no experience, so should the gauge show something immediately,
when you are pumping the air to the e.g. floor chamber? Could it be possible, my pumping technique is somehow wrong and the air pressure is not coming back to the gauge (e.g. leaks in connection). However, the gauge is not totally dead, because once I pumped the floor very tight, the gauge moved, when there was resistance, but went back to zero.
I haven't test with main valves yet.

JCOOLEY wrote:
If you are inflating the kayak with the two main valves closed in the inflate position, you won't get an accurate reading. The gauge gets a reading by receiving back flow of air from the valve. In order to get this back flow, the valve needs to stay open. You can inflate the kayak with the valve open in the deflate position. When you get to the proper psi, you can quickly close the valve and then top it off with some more air. If you try this method and the gauge still isn't giving you a reading, then your gauge is broken and you can contact Advanced Elements to get a replacement.

Jeremy
Cool
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The floor and smaller chambers only take 1 psi so it may be possible that because it is such a low reading it may appear as thought the needle is still on zero. Try it with the main valves and see if you get a reading. If not, contact AE to get a replacement gauge.

Jeremy
Cool
kriska

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: gauge functions Reply with quote

Thank you fro info,

the gauge functions and everything is now OK. Turning valve position from deflate to inflate demands some fast fingers Smile The first chanber must be filled first half way; does this mean 1 PSI?

JCOOLEY wrote:
The floor and smaller chambers only take 1 psi so it may be possible that because it is such a low reading it may appear as thought the needle is still on zero. Try it with the main valves and see if you get a reading. If not, contact AE to get a replacement gauge.

Jeremy
Cool
BrianAZ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is helpful? I use a footpump for the bulk of inflation of the maintubes, until I feel noticeable resistance. It save A LOT of stress on my back. Then I use the AE handpump with pressure gauge to "top off". The gauge only seems to read accurately while the handle is being moved, therefore while the inflation valve is open momentarily. As soon as I stop pumping, the gauge drops to zero. So I watch the hand pump gauge closely whle pumping.

But it still doesn't really register until it's pretty full. The balance of 1/2 air between the main chambers is really a trial-and-error kinda thing. After having inflated my Expedition many times now, I have a pretty good "feel" for it. Practice setting up your AE several times and I think it'll become much simpler. FWIW.
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: gauge functions Reply with quote

kriska wrote:
Thank you fro info,

the gauge functions and everything is now OK. Turning valve position from deflate to inflate demands some fast fingers Smile The first chanber must be filled first half way; does this mean 1 PSI?

JCOOLEY wrote:

Jeremy
Cool

Half way doesn't really mean 1 psi because it won't have 1 psi in it. Half way means just until the kayak starts to rise off of the ground and take some shape. If you go on You Tube and look up Advanced Elements, one of our retailers has posted a couple of videos on inflating the kayak. It should give you a good idea.

Jeremy
Cool
Knoxville Kyaker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Tried it both ways.... Reply with quote

Because all the included instructions said to have the valve in the inflate position, I did that. As some others noted, you get a fleeting reading as your pumping this way. After reading this forum, I tried pumping chamber 1 with the valve in the deflate position and there was no reading at all.

My kayak is brand new. This is my first in-the-yard pump up/assembly dry run and while none of the "interim pumping" readings seemed to be at the maximum for either chamber or the DS floor, I think all is well, but I'm terrified of over inflation given what I've read elsewhere. Is my pump gauge malfunctioning? Do I need a new gauge? is there a reliable way to third-party check the pressure?

Thanks for helping this newbie.
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have the AE2011 Hand Pump with Gauge.
Screw on the spring valve adaptor to the 1st valve when it is in the UP or Inflate position. Pump until the kayak begins to rise off the ground or take shape. You will not get a reading on the pump because there is not enough back pressure to give one.
Move to 2nd valve. Screw on Spring Valve Adaptor while it is in the UP or Inflate position. Pump until you get a reading of 2.5 psi. You are now done. If the kayak looks inflated and you can pick it up from either end without it bending in the middle and you are not getting a reading on the gauge, then there could be something wrong with the gauge.
At that point, please contact customer service
info@advancedelements.com
707-745-9800
Knoxville Kyaker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Will try that Reply with quote

Had to bring it inside because I had to leave to take someone to an appointment. Brought it in inflated, but it was a little floppy -- it's a convertible, haven't memorized the model number yet.

Of course, it didn't totally deflate, have to "reverse pump" for that. Will try again tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your advice.
Knoxville Kyaker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Oops. Reply with quote

Ah, the model of the pump. It's whatever ships with the Convertible/w DS floor from Airkayaks.
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they carry other pumps so you may want to check with them which pump was included. Is it Yellow and say Advanced Elements on it? Does it have the Spring Valve Adaptor attached to it?(this is the adaptor that screws on to the valve and is also included with the repair kit)
Knoxville Kyaker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Pump description Reply with quote

It is yellow with black lettering: Advanced Elements Double Action Hand Pump. Yes it has a gauge and you can inflate or deflate with it depending which side you fit the tube into. Model number isn't obvious on the pump.
Knoxville Kyaker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: More... Reply with quote

Has attachments. Floor pumping adaptor was separate, in the ziplock with the patch items.
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Customer Service or AirKayaks to further trouble shoot the issue you are having.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Pumps All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: