index.php?sid=1d309aee2ea082139a674936a9f2f8cf AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragonfly2 tube durability?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Dragonfly 2 and Lagoon 2 Tandem Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
collin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Dragonfly2 tube durability? Reply with quote

I am an avid paddler from New Zealand and for the convenience of packing my canoe into my 5.2m pop top camper van I chose advanced elements dragonfly 2 so as I could also fit my bikes, guitar and amp (for gigs along the way) etc.
Some of my canoe trips are point to point across small (ish) harbours and although the dragonfly packs and sets up so fantastically, I have concern about:
1. there only being a single tube - rather than 2, as if one side deflates then there would be at least some buoyancy to get to land and
2. I wonder how much scuffing the tube will take before deflating. I note the later models have a cover but this cannot be retro fitted without cutting away the floor - that would remove the only other bit of buoyancy!
So my question to the forum is: Has anyone got a resolution to my concerns.

thanks
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. There are actually two chambers not one. It depends on what year model you have. One valve inflates the outer portion of the tube and the other valve inflates the inner portion of the tube.
Think of the tube as a round circle. There is no left or right. There is inner an outer. The tube is divided in half by a membrane which creates the outer half and the inner half.
2. The material is thick and take take a lot of scuffing. Mostly it will be from your feet and gear.
3. If you wanted to add a zip on tube cover, you would need to cut away the floor but you can leave the floor in still, it will just be separate from the tube. This is like our Advanced Frame models.
4. I would always carry some TearAid Type B patch material just in case. It is a quick fix if anything was to happen to either the main tube or the floor.

For further questions and answers, feel free to reach out to customer service.
info@advancedelements.com
collin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Dragonfly2 tube durability? Reply with quote

thanks for response JC. Definately only one valve for the main tube - the other is for the floor - so maybe I should have researched that better before purchase! I only bought it in 2015 so the Auckland store must have been excited to quit it!
Is it possible to obtain the updated main tube with liner? and will this fit into my existing dragonfly 2 outer?
Please advise outlets in NZ if the latter is possible as the place I purchased from has ceased to exist!

thanks
Collin
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To better assist, please provide Hull ID#. Starts with XZE. Located on rear of kayak. Should also be inside by the caution label.
collin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Dragonfly2 tube durability? Reply with quote

thanks - the number on my Dragonfly is XZE0156DH707

Collin
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could add the gray, zippered "tube cover" but it would take some retro fitting.
1. Cut away floor as close to tube as possible.
2. Cover two valve hole openings on tube cover with patch material.
3. Line up valve on kayak tube with the tube cover and cut new opening for your existing valve.

Then you should be good to go.

The other option is you could get a new tube with the two chambers and the tube cover.

1. You would need to cut away the floor
2. You would need to cut two holes in your outer cover to fit the two valves through on the top rear of the cover.

Then you would be good to go.

For more info, please contact customer service.
info@advancedelements.com
PJohanson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can speak to Collin's other question about scuffing. I have an older Dragonfly 1 which was the older model with a single main tube and inflatable floor.
My old Dragonfly has lasted over seven years. The tough outer hull seems to have protected the main tube just fine. It has no signs of any leaks, anywhere. The main tube has stretched a little but not much, as I am careful not to over-inflate. (I've come to prefer paddling it 90% full rather than drum-tight!)
Four times I've taken the inner kayak out of the outer hull, wiped it with a damp cloth, and checked the main tube very carefully. Not a speck of damage.
The inflatable floor is the only part showing any wear. Two of the tubes have joined to be a big tube. Also, I found a pinhole about where I put my foot when getting in. The pinhole still leaks after patching twice, so I now do not inflate the floor; instead I use a new seat from the Lagoon, which is inflatable. Works great.
Collin, as a user of these kayaks I predict that scuffing does not easily pop the old Dragonfly 1 or 2 main tubes. Some users put a towel in the kayak so their feet won't rub on the inflatable floor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Dragonfly 2 and Lagoon 2 Tandem Models All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: