index.php?sid=cc9fc77b567529f1ed519d11dad59b66 AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DS Floor repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Repairs, Cleaning & Maintainance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TOD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: DS Floor repair Reply with quote

Hi, I have just bought a second hand AE1007DS. I inflated the floor and air is escaping from the seam at the bow end. It looks like the seam has been repaired before, maybe unsuccessfully. There is no repair kit with the boat.
Can someone please advise what sort of glue I should use to try to repair the seam.
Thanks
Tim[/img]
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McNett Aquaseal or Vynabond(if you can find it)
TOD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JCOOLEY, I can get the aquaseal but the vynabond looks to be unavailable due to being discontinued. I ended up using a product called Stabond, a two part glue which looked to have a pretty strong finish. I'll post the results in the next week.
TOD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOD wrote:
Thanks JCOOLEY, I can get the aquaseal but the vynabond looks to be unavailable due to being discontinued. I ended up using a product called Stabond, a two part glue which looked to have a pretty strong finish. I'll post the results in the next week.

So the Stabond works well. However, the floor failed at another spot while inflated to test. This was also glued and the floor has survived two trips. However, while laying it out to dry in a hot sun, the seam has failed in another spot.
It would seem that the glue used originally by the manufacturer is starting to fail, maybe due to the hot Australian conditions that it has been subjected to.
Hull number indicated the kayak is a 2012 model, with the older style decks.
Has there been any change to how the Dropstitch floor has been made since then. Some images I see on the internet look like the sides may be welded rather than glued but it is hard to tell. I am contemplating buying a new one, but maybe not if the sides are still glued as it seems the regular 90-100 degree F days here may be too much for this construction method.
I'd appreciate any info or comments.
Thanks
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all drop stitch technology, it is too difficult to weld the seams. Not just with our product but with others as well. You will find that most drop stitch has the seams glued.
Hot conditions can cause some glues to loosen up but it all depends. I would contact customer service with your concerns and questions.
info@advancedelements.com
TOD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JCOOLEY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Repairs, Cleaning & Maintainance All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: