index.php?sid=bfc97f5fa2c9c17a4733ca3106cb861c AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Velcro Positioning Strips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Advanced Frame Expedition & Ultralite
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windnut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Velcro Positioning Strips Reply with quote

Do all of the Expeditions have the Velcro strips? A few months ago I bought 2 used Expeditions and at the time inflated both and checked them out but have only used one myself while the weather was colder. Today I inflated the other one again to spray on some waterproof coating and noticed that it doesn't have any Velcro strips at all. The one without the strips actually looks better because even with adjusting the one with the strips it always seemed a little baggy on the top. The next time I go out I'm going to cover the strips and try it. By the way I've had a great time with the one I've used and took it out a lot over the winter when the sun was out. The only negative was being sneered at by the local Kayak club for not having what they consider a real kayak when I was coming in after a great 7 mile paddle on the local river and estuary.
PJohanson

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windnut, my paddle group doesn't sneer at my Expedition -- it keeps up with 12-foot hardshell kayaks just fine. Of course, it doesn't keep up with the 18-foot sea kayak that one of us paddles... but neither can the 12-foot recreational kayaks in our group, so that's fine. We get along.
So we have fun on the water, and if I have to accept a little goodnatured teasing about paddling a slow boat, my friend with the 18-foot sea kayak has to accept that I can take my boat on the bus or tuck it into the back of a little SmartCar fourtwo, or down the Red Deer River on a camping trip. We get along fine.
Windnut

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong I wasn't complaining about the Expedition at all I've had nothing but a great time with it. It's just that I've only gone out by myself and have put on a lot of miles in different types of weather and conditions without a problem. The last time I was out upon returning to the launch area the beach was covered with kayaks and there was only a very small gap to wheel my kayak out and nobody seemed to want to make room. I tried to be friendly and got very little response but maybe I don't look friendly(BG). When I got home I looked at their web site and saw that the minimum requirement is a 14 foot sea going kayak so the Expedition is too small for this type of group. The Expedition suits my needs perfectly because I want to be able to take them with me when towing my RV and not have a huge rack on the truck when travelling. It would just be nice if people realized these kayaks aren't pool toys. I've just become reluctant to say what kind of kayak I have because even the kayak shops kind of look down their nose at them. When I got my first paddle the salesmen said all I needed was the cheapest aluminum paddle they carried and maybe Canadian Tire would be better.
PJohanson

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...you were told all you needed was the cheapest aluminum paddle, and maybe to go to Canadian Tire? aw, gee.
You are so right -- these kayaks are NOT flimsy pool toys. They are much more like a Folbot than a $10 inflatable pool toy.
I have a couple of paddles that are cheap, and a take-apart four-piece paddle from AE, as well as a greenland paddle (looks like a stick) and a carbon-fibre scoop paddle for racing (yard-sale price!).
It's okay to get a cheap paddle at first if that's all your budget will allow, and to keep it later as a spare paddle. But I was amazed at how much better the second paddle I bought felt when using it. I really could feel the difference between a $40 paddle and a $100 paddle. My paddling partners saved up to buy $200 carbon shaft paddles and love them.

Ah, a crowded beach with little room for a newcomer? I think you're right to look friendly.
Only one of the three kayaking stores locally is less than perfectly enthusiastic about inflatable kayaks, and their clerks say no worse than "you DO know that it's a recreational kayak, eh? Oh good, because it's great for that."
NaturalPath

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windnut, I wouldn't worry too much about what anyone else thinks, I certainly don't. If you feel good about it, then that's all that matters. If it serves your purposes, then that's exactly what you need. Do some research and decide what paddle suits you best and fits your budget. Some of them can get quite expensive, but there are good cheaper ones too. I have an aluminum shaft paddle, which some might look down on, but it suits my purposes and it works just fine. Don't get goaded into trying to keep up with the Jones', it's a never ending struggle, and a very expensive one at that.
Windnut

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem there because I don't care what anyone thinks about my kayaks, it's just that sometimes I'm surprised by the elitist attitude by some sales people. With the economy you would think that any sale would be good and insulting the customer isn't smart. I've seen what affect the elitist attitude had on the motorcycle industry and a lot of shops are long gone by making people feel bad about what they wanted. I think the kayak industry has seen the same thing by scaring new customers off by the huge amount of expensive equipment that you absolutely need to start. I think more people would be interested if they knew how much fun can be had with a lower cost rec kayak like Advanced Elements rather then a $4000 Kevlar touring kayak and an $800 dry suit and $400 carbon paddle a long with the rest of the expensive gear.
NaturalPath

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you have to remember that the sales people are there to sell, as much as possible. It could be that some of them are working on a commission too, so the bigger the sale, the higher the commission.

I rode a motorcycle for almost 40 years and I know what you mean, it's the same thing. Actually, it's the same with any product or lifestyle. There will always be those who get into the 'mine is better' race, and perpetuate it. Of course the industry loves that kind of thinking. It plays right into their desire for more profits.

In the end it's up to the individual to say to themselves "I have enough for what I need", and be content with that.
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windnut,

The earlier version of the Expedition did not have the velcro strips. For the current version that does, if you would like to make adjustments when inflating, slide some paper between the velcro to let the tube fill out naturally.
The Expedition is one of my favorite kayaks. Mostly because I am 6'2" and I fit better in it but also because it paddle sgreat and I can dust many of the other hardshells that are on the water. I have been competing in a triathalon the last couple of years that features a paddle leg instead of swimming. Out of 700 ironpersons(those doing all three legs) and many teams (those splitting the legs between three people) I came in 60 using the Expedition. The only kayaks that were beating me were surfskis and 17' sea kayaks. That is also with very minimal paddling training on my part. I really do not get out nearly as much as I would like. I can only imagine where I would of finished if I had actually trained for the paddle portion.
So, I definately would not worry about what others think about the kayak. Chalk it up to ignorance. You'll find as time goes on, you will get more and more people asking you about the kayak as you take it out on paddle trips. I know I do. It feels like half the time instead of paddling, I am talking about the kayak making it feel more like work than play.
Happy Paddling!
Windnut

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JCOOLEY"]Windnut,

The earlier version of the Expedition did not have the velcro strips.

Yes by the ID numbers one is a 2009 and the other is a 2010 so that would explain why the 2009 has no velcro. As far as speed I don't have much to compare them to having only used small plastic rec kayaks which are slower.
I can maintain 3.5 to 4 mph without much trouble by gps and sprint up to 5mph but I'm not sure how that compares to hard shell kayaks having never paddled with them. All I know is that I'm happy to have them and enjoy every outing.
Zak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Velcro Thoughts Reply with quote

After long consideration, in my opinion the four velcro strips in my expedition elite are pain in the behind and nothing more. They aren't aligned well and at first I thought of repairing them and adding some more around, but now I come to think they are useless and only the seat should have velcro on the bottom as it's sliding around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Advanced Frame Expedition & Ultralite All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: