index.php?sid=a6531c03add2a5e0fcbf5db55e9c2dc9 AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Make sure you read the manuel..a tale of woe...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Advanced Frame and Advanced Frame Sport
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Make sure you read the manuel..a tale of woe... Reply with quote

Just thought I would share the day I had today - I was a bit of an idiot and it could have turned out a lot worse. I'm sure there is a lesson to be learnt here.. Smile

So I got my advanced Frame Kayak today - I have been looking forward to getting out onto the water for months. I live in Sabah in Borneo. I agreed with my wife to meet me at the beach resort where we got married last year. Its about a 10KM paddle down the coast. I didn't bother reading the instruction manual i was that so eager to get out on the water. I didn't understand that you are meant to set the spring loaded inflation valves to 'inflate' instead i just quickly removed the hose from the pump and twisted the cap over the valve. Lots of air escaped when i did this but thought it would be okay - after all i live in a hot country and air expands in heat - right?

It was a glorious day but after paddling about an hour i noticed that the Kayak was starting to bend in the middle and let in water. I paddled into the nearest beach and set about inflating the kayak again. It was quite a remote beach and there were a group of local kids sat in the shade of a palm tree. I guess they seemed very curious of me and surrounded me as i was frantically trying to re inflate the Kayak. I smiled and said hello but they seemed quite surly and one of them was wielding a meat cleaver - i started to feel quite threatened and after inflating the kayak again I quickly got back in the water and pushed off - just as they stated shouting at me.

Relieved i paddled out along the coast. After about another hour i noticed the Kayak was starting to bend again in the middle and I was almost laid horizontal. I was quite a way from the shore but spied a cluster of rocks that i headed towards. They were occupied by seagulls and as i got closer they started to dive bomb me. I fended them off with my paddle and jumped out and dragged the kayak up onto the rocks. The Kayak was in a sorry state looking more like a deflated balloon than a Kayak. It wasn't easy to inflate as the rocks were slippery but i managed it. I got back in and headed out again still wary of the seagulls.

I must not have closed the cap on the rear valve properly as very soon the kayak started to deflate and let in even more water. It was becoming more and more difficult to paddle and i was almost waist deep in water. I decided that i needed to head for the shore ASAP as i was quickly tiring and it felt like i was sinking. The shore line that I was heading to was rocky and the rocks were piled at about a 45 degree angle so when i finally made it there it was really difficult to drag the kayak up the rocks.
i slipped several times and the water pooled in one end of the Kayak. I had to undo the zips and turn the Kayak over to let the water out. As I was doing this i slipped - you know in the lord of the rings when the ring finds its way onto Frodo's finger? well it was like that in reverse with my wedding ring as in seemingly slow motion it bounced off a rock and fell down a crack. I dived after it but naturally it was completely lost.

I got the Kayak back in the water and managed to get back in with some difficulty. I was wearing sandals to protect my feet from the rocks and as i ungracefully flopped in i heard air rushing out of the floor deck. I thought i had punctured it for a minute before i realized i was sat on the value and had somehow twisted it open. Very soon the deck was completely flat and paddling became quite hard. I managed to inflate it a little with my mouth but as I was sat on it I couldn't get much air in. Anyway I could see the beach resort in distance so made one final effort to get there.

I was about 1 mile offshore as i cut across the bay. the Kayak was deflating slowly deflating again and listing to one side. I could see my wife on the beach - the very beach that we got married on. I finally
made it and was totally exhausted, dehydrated and sunburnt.

Lesson well and truly learnt - make sure you read the instruction manuel before heading out.

I just need to tell the wife about the wedding ring now....
Pearly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That is the funniest thing I've read for a loooong time! 10KM for the first paddle is tough enough, but in a deflating kayak!!! WOW!

I'm pleased you are enjoying your kayaking experience! Laughing Laughing Laughing
lee johnson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kayak that AE created
Made me so excited - elated -
That I did not look
At the manual, the book -
An omission that left me . . . deflated.
chrish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken the kayak out twice since the first disastrous maiden voyage. The difference with using a properly inflated kayak with the BB was staggering - the equivalent of changing a scooter for a superbike.

I was surprised how it cut effortlessly through some pretty big swells and seemed to handle them really well - i did notice that when waves washed over the bow that water came in through the zip - it would be good if these zips were covered to prevent this.

I was wondering if anyone had ever capsized in the sea in one of these Kayaks and how easy it is to get it upright again? do you need to get back into shore?

I have seen the promo video for this kayak and it looks like you can Eskimo roll without the spray skirt - has anyone tried this?

Thanks
Pearly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can roll the kayak, but you need very good core strength to get it back up again!

They are actually quite hard to turn over, but if you do, turn it back upright the same as you would a hard shell. One you are back in, you are going to have a lot of water to get rid of. If you don't have a scoop or pump, you are going to have to get back to shore to empty her out. Once at the shore, don't attempt to carry the kayak out. Turn it back upside down and slowly lift one end to get most of the water out and then it will be light enough to take out of the water. When you take it out, take it out by lifting at the tube near the cockpit - this will allow any more water to drop out, making it easier to carry.

It is a good idea to have a practice session in a contolled environment - swimming pool or shallow water - so you know what it's like and what to do. Don't do this on your own though - always a good idea to have someone on hand to help if needs be.
PJohanson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've never had a capsize at sea in an AE inflatable, I've tipped over on purpose many times in pools and when doing safety practise with friends. We practise by helping each other the first time or two and then by hovering nearby when someone does a wet exit and re-entry without assistance. Anyone can get a bit of water up the nose and need help. This is how we learned that there's no way to know who will need help, whether they're big & strong or limber from yoga.
Usually, by the time I'm falling out of the inflatable kayak, it turns turtle and floats upside-down on top of the water. If it's a windy day, the kayak can blow away from me faster than I can swim!
If there is water inside the kayak, I take hold of the bow of my Lagoon and lift it. Much of the water flows out, whether it's upside-down or right side up. Sometimes I can push it up and flip it right side up. I can do this even when swimming and even though I'm small, because the inside of a Lagoon doesn't hold too much water.
For my Expedition, there's usually not much water inside, and this model has enough lift to support me and a full load of water. So I often crawl in cowyboy-style over the bow and use my water pump to get the water out. My friend with an AE Advanced Frame does the same.
It's faster to tow the boat to shore and empty it there. (Of course, you have a 20 foot long rope tied to your bow handle, right? Right? Idea Of course you do, and it's always coiled there ready for towing. And you have another rope in a throw bag.) If I ever have a capsize when I'm paddling alone, I plan to go to shore -- when I paddle alone, it's in familiar waters and I stay within a few boat lengths of shore. Yes, I'm a coward and yes, the water is really cold here year-round.
chrish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your all your advice guys. I guess I should have a practice in shallow water and find something to bail with to take out with.

As you know space on an advanced elements kayak is limited but the last few trips i have been on I have put the double action handpump in a water proof bag and put it under the bungy cords.

I just wondered if you guys take out a pump with you when your out? I have only used it once on the first trip - but not when i used the spring loaded valves correctly.

thanks!
PJohanson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My double-action handpump doesn't need a waterproof bag. I put it in the kayak carry bag, fold it up kind of small and either stuff it behind my seat or bungy it onto the front deck. Often I leave the big double-action handpump (which is as big as my thigh) behind on shore with the carry bag and the folding luggage roller. Then I take a little clamshell pump on board, stuffed inside the bow.
PotomacPhil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Taking on water Reply with quote

I just bought a Sport and went out on the Potomac here near Washington DC. a few weeks ago. I was a bit impatient and didn't fully inflate the hull. I was fine going out expecting the heat to increase the pressure but it didn't and when the seat wasn't right half way up the river I pull to some big rocks to adjust and banged up my leg. I went on back and the wind picked up and water filled the boat. I couldn't make it all the way back. I had to pull over on some more rocks empty the boat and pump in additional air (with the little AE foot pump I bought a few days before!) and made it back without too much embarrassment.
A good lesson to take your time and setup the boat properly. But DO take along a foot pump in a dry bag, just incase!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Advanced Frame and Advanced Frame Sport All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: