index.php?sid=a957290e62827c14be10c6a0369c73cf AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It ain't just nature that's out to get you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Stories & Blogs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: It ain't just nature that's out to get you! Reply with quote

I'm in the process of buying a small (incredibly teeny tiny for all you American-continent readers) campervan, so I can potter around the UK and take my convertible with me. I'm the sort of bloke wot reads up on stuff, so I joined a small motorhome forum, and this was posted just yesterday...
http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3452

Let's be careful out there...

Jim
sonar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a powerboat certifcate both powerboat 1 and 2
and many other marine certs as well.

I also owned a 6 mtr rhib and the speed would be around 50 knots flat out.
but never never once did i ever take my eyes away from the direction of travel.

Always aware of what is around me at ALL times.

I am not sure what will happen to the offender as you do not require any certificates or licence to either own or drive a boat under 24 mtrs in length.

Last edited by sonar on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pearly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was horrendous! Hope he is OK now?

I have had to get out of a small ferry boat once before - he was powering directly toward me while I was anchored, fishing. It looked like he wasn't going to turn to avoid me, so I cut the rope and paddled like mad. Sure enough, he went straight over my spot and as I looked up at him, he was looking down at something on his dash! Probably reading the newspaper! I shouted and he looked up, wondering what the fuss was about! I think he learned some new words that day!
sonar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: It ain't just nature that's out to get you! Reply with quote

JimD wrote:
I'm in the process of buying a small (incredibly teeny tiny for all you American-continent readers) campervan, so I can potter around the UK and take my convertible with me. I'm the sort of bloke wot reads up on stuff, so I joined a small motorhome forum, and this was posted just yesterday...
http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3452

Let's be careful out there...

Jim

Hi JimD

Any joy with the purchase of a campervan.?
JimD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pearly,
He had some problems with a blood clot traveling to his lung, but is stable again, moved nearer home, and waiting for a mobility scooter so he can get around again while having surgery/therapy etc He's updated the thread a couple of times since the incident.

Sonar asked
Quote:
Any joy with the purchase of a campervan.?

Yep, got one. In fact I collected it yesterday. It's a Mazda Bongo Friendee (really naff name, but it was only sold on the Japanese market and I suppose it sounds much better to their ears). They're old, but very cheap compared to other vans. Technically it can sleep four, but they'd have to be really good friends. Two 'upstairs' and two downstairs in theory, but upstairs as a loft for luggage, and downstairs for me seems a much better idea. And outside in an awning for the toilet.
sonar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted now then.

hope to see some U.K. bloggs soon then.

Well when the weather warms up Next year. Laughing
This is the sort of marine traffic we have to contend with here in the northeast.
2 ships when kayak fishing.

Little chance of either of them moving around you or even seeing you in the kayak.. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
aimeusdietger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearly wrote:
That was horrendous! Hope he is OK now?

I have had to get out of a small ferry boat once before - he was powering directly toward me while I was anchored, fishing. It looked like he wasn't going to turn to avoid me, so I cut the rope and paddled like mad. Sure enough, he went straight over my spot and as I looked up at him, he was looking down at something on his dash! Probably reading the newspaper! I shouted and he looked up, wondering what the fuss was about! I think he learned some new words that day!

Am a newbie..going through the forums and came across this and could not help but wonder what was going on through the other guys head..

I think people are definitely not used to traffic in the waters thus the high level of absent mindedness...some people are just ignorant of the fact that they are not the only living souls going about their businesses.. i have seen crush videos that are so serious in that the victims had to be rushed to hospitals.
PJohanson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth remembering that to users of sailboats and motorboats, the nickname for kayaks is "speedbump."
I would have thought anyone would have no trouble seeing my bright yellow or orange inflatable kayaks, or my bright pink sea kayak. But my kayak group did some visibility checks one day. Even in broad daylight on a sunny day on a calm ocean bay, we could watch a kayak disappear against the shoreline when our boats were only two or three hundred yards/metres apart. Bright colours helped only a little.
Moral of the story: I assume that Nobody Can See Me and make it my business to get out of the way of sailboats and motorboats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Stories & Blogs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: