index.php?sid=65722581cc36a8fb1f8a6f057c6d68ac AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

StraitEdge Canoe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Strait Edge Kayaks and Canoe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben82

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: StraitEdge Canoe Reply with quote

I am new to this and am looking to get hold of an inflatable. I've been reading alot of comments about the AdvancedFrame and other models but i havent seen any on the StraitEdge Canoe. Can anyone out there give me some opinion on it?

I'm asking about the canoe because it seems to be more within my budget whereas the other 2 seaters seem more pricey. I would mainly use it in freshwater environment, and definitely will be doing a lot of fishing from it. How would it hold up if i do decide to take it out on the coast occasionally?

The Dragonfly seem to be more popular over here in Australia but i think i would prefer something thats more suited for fishing.

cheers
seajams

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while we have not done any fishing from our convertible, we do enjoy it very much and if only one person in it, there would be plenty of room for a days catch.
mad dawg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: fishing from straitedge canoe Reply with quote

It comes with rod-holders, so the canoe was designed with fishing in mind. Lots of room for all your gear, and a day's catch.

I live far from the coast Sad but I can't see why you wouldn't be able to use it off the coast. You'll probably want to have an anchor on hand, as well as a spare double-bladed paddle. In fact, you'd probably want a kayak paddle as your primary as well. The canoe has a much wider beam than your typical kayak, so you'll want a longer than normal kayak paddle, especially if you are sitting in the middle.

It's open, so more susceptible to taking on water than a covered kayak. It's also a lot higher than a kayak, so more susceptible to wind. You can't roll a canoe, and I imagine that self-rescue would be a lot trickier.

Know your tides and weather conditions. Stay close to shore. Stay in protected waters. And take anything I say with a grain of salt, as I have to mention again that I live far from any coastal waters. The only experience that I have with my straitedge canoe in the sea is in my dreams, and even then, it doesn't always turn out well.

ETA - I know this is a really old post. I'm replying to it mainly beause I too sometimes wonder how my straitedge canoe would do in coastal waters. Would it be worth lugging out with me should I be so lucky as to have a chance to visit the coast?
machineboy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post, but I thought I would share my experience with the Straitedge canoe in windy seawater conditions. My dad and I took my straitedge out last summer on a windy day with waves with some white foam. The canoe was behaving very well even when parallel to the waves and we never felt we were going to tip over (we were close to land so it was not a risky trip). It was very hard to paddle in very windy conditions though, so we didn't get far. But as far as stability goes, I've never been in a more stable canoe!
JimD

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Machineboy welcome Smile
Glad you felt stable in the straitedge. Hope you keep us up to date with your other canoe/kayak trips!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Strait Edge Kayaks and Canoe All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: