index.php?sid=4722bc4a128d993a026d45d057c11159 AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advanced Elements 2010 sail

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Advanced Elements 2010 sail Reply with quote

Has anyone bought the new sail or is there a Youtube test on it?
Pearly

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a couple already posted on the forum:

http://yaktraveller.blogspot.com/2010/05/trip-3-indian-river-from-warsaw-to.html

http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=732
dspid2404

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has received it yet let the forum know. I'd like to get a few opinions on it and some thoughts. I have a few minor modifications I want to make to mine and I want to know what others thought first.
John

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. Hadn't noticed the open thread. Looks fairly impressive.
Ben

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: rapidup sail Reply with quote

I tried the Rapidup Sail today on an AdvancedFrame. The pros are it was extremely easy to connect to the kayak and extremely easy to deploy. Also with only a moderate breeze the Rapidup sail kept me moving along at a nice clip ...to say the least. Also I found the kayak very easy to maneuver even during strong gusts.

However, before you purchase one I noticed some inconveniences and my apologies but I'm not sure the sail is up to the same quality standards as the AE kayaks.
1) The D-ring clips are too small for the D-rings. They go on easy enough however you will need needle nose pliers to get them off again. It required so much force to removed the clips, the clasp is now permanently bent.
2) On the Advanced Frame the sail interferes with the paddle stroke so I could only use 1/4 paddle strokes which is enough to steer but when the wind died down I had to collapse the sail. I was hoping to use the sail as an assist on less windy days.
3) And the most disappointing. Never try to collapse the sail while it's windy or the rods will snap. As I was approaching the shore I had to collapse the sail to allow for full paddle strokes. The strength of the wind on top of bending the rods was too much and it snapped. It didn't feel like I used that much force.

Again I've found all AE products to have the highest quality standards but I'm a little disappointed with rapidup sail.
dspid2404

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the d-rings, I simply cut mine flush with a pair of cutters so that the flat part only just covers the opening. This makes them easier to get off. The problem is the flat part that covers the open section is a bit too long and a bit too strong. Cutting them solves the problem.
Ben

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say customer support at Advanced Elements is phenomenal. They are hooking me up with a new sail. Thanks AE!
sonar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: rapidup sail Reply with quote

Ben wrote:
I tried the Rapidup Sail today on an AdvancedFrame. The pros are it was extremely easy to connect to the kayak and extremely easy to deploy. Also with only a moderate breeze the Rapidup sail kept me moving along at a nice clip ...to say the least. Also I found the kayak very easy to maneuver even during strong gusts.

However, before you purchase one I noticed some inconveniences and my apologies but I'm not sure the sail is up to the same quality standards as the AE kayaks.
1) The D-ring clips are too small for the D-rings. They go on easy enough however you will need needle nose pliers to get them off again. It required so much force to removed the clips, the clasp is now permanently bent.
2) On the Advanced Frame the sail interferes with the paddle stroke so I could only use 1/4 paddle strokes which is enough to steer but when the wind died down I had to collapse the sail. I was hoping to use the sail as an assist on less windy days.
3) And the most disappointing. Never try to collapse the sail while it's windy or the rods will snap. As I was approaching the shore I had to collapse the sail to allow for full paddle strokes. The strength of the wind on top of bending the rods was too much and it snapped. It didn't feel like I used that much force.

Again I've found all AE products to have the highest quality standards but I'm a little disappointed with rapidup sail.

This will not break
http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1160
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Misc. All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: