index.php?sid=a0ff97ba8999a0e522a64fea85d7a1ea AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Longevity and Repairability?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Repairs, Cleaning & Maintainance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddy-O

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Longevity and Repairability? Reply with quote

I am thinking of purchasing a couple of AE Convertible kayaks. I guess I would like to know how long this kayak should last with normal abuse and proper care in a hot climate. Anyone?

I'd also like to ask about repairs. Someone has told me that kayaks made of pvc are more difficult to repair. How true is this? It is difficult or costly to make solid repairs (long lasting, excellent seals) on the convertible?

Daddy-O
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the kayak is properly taken care of, it should last you many years.
Reapirs are very simple. The kayak comes with a repair kit which has patches of the different types of material as well as glue. A good substitute also is Tear-Aid patches. Type B works best. It is an easy self adhesive patch that holds up well.
I have come across some pretty badly abused kayaks as well as ones with very unexpected major damage(being run over by a car). I have been able to fix pretty much all. The kayak has to be pretty shredded to not be able to fix. If you have more questions, post here or PM me.

Jeremy
Cool
Daddy-O

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great Jeremy! I have been doing a lot of research on different kayaks and believe that these are some of the best values available today. I believe that we will be purchasing a couple of these sometime next month for our family. We will purchase the kayak, paddles and the backbone (I think that is the name of it) at the same time for at least two kayaks. Any suggestions on the length of paddles we should get? Thank you (and eveyone else) for taking the time to give such complete answers to my questions. Very Happy

Daddy-O
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

230 cm to 240 cm
PJohanson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: paddles Reply with quote

Be willing to try paddles of various lengths. You'll probably want 230 to 240 cm, as jcooley says. But everybody's different. A Greenland paddle may suit you for long outings, or a wide-blade paddle for manouverability.
My spare paddle is a $25 special from a Canadian Tire store, and it's shorter than my usual one. It's nice to trade off. The muscles used are different.
Short people don't always want a shorter paddle.
MDO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Buying a used one? Reply with quote

I am so thrilled with my AE Advanced frame, that my husband and I have decided to start looking for an 'Expedition" for him (he is quite a bit taller and heavier than me).

I ound someone selling their 2007 Expedition with minor scuffing, pale stains, etc. ' but in excellent condition"

Is this a very risky purchase? In what way(s) is the 2007 model different than the 2009?
lee johnson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: 2007-09 EXPs Reply with quote

MDO -

I have a 2007 Expedition, my son has a 2008, and one of my brothers bought a 2009 this summer. How are they different? In 2007, the EXP was pretty well set in its current design, which has remained essentially unchanged because subsequent alterations strike me as minor. Minor changes in 2008 include moving the interior "S" valve closer to the cockpit (for easier access) and, in mid - 2008, changing the decking material from a plain weave to a rip-stop weave (a basically cosmetic change, in my view). In 2009, the front bungies were moved closer to the cockpit (for easier access). This summer, I had the opportunity to give my brother my 2007 and take the new 2009, but the differences are so small - and he was rather keen on the rip-stop decking - that I had no problem keeping my 2007, which is "first among equals" with my Advanced Frame 1 and Dragonfly XC. So, you should have no misgivings about picking up that 2007 Expedition, especially if the price is right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Repairs, Cleaning & Maintainance All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: