index.php?sid=13548c7408e5818f22e056d5d7585622 AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Options for packing/ traveling with Dragonfly 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Firefly, Dragonfly and Lagoon Single Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gthorgaard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Options for packing/ traveling with Dragonfly 1 Reply with quote

My wife and I just bought two Dragonfly 1 kayaks. We are looking forward to using them on trips as well as locally. With the new baggage policies by the airlines, we would also like to pack as efficiently as possible. Weight should be OK for packing two together but it looks like the dimensions may be challenging.

Does anyone have any suggestions on duffels or rolling duffels that would hold two Dragonfly 1 kayaks at once? It seems that the Advanced Elements rolling duffel (AE3003) is not quite wide enough to handle these kayaks.

Thanks for any help/ suggestions.
PJohanson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: 1 dragonfly in its case Reply with quote

I just took my Dragonfly on a plane trip, in its original case. There was even room for my PFD, a double-stroke pump as well as the foot pump that came with the kayak, a Scotty brand water pump, a throw bag holding 50' of line, and my merino shirt & longjohns. My two-part paddle stuck out of one end of the zipper, so I recommend either getting a paddle that breaks down into three or four pieces, or packing the paddle separately.

Total weight: about thirty pounds, quite acceptable for airline luggage. At one airport the case arrived on the Oversized Luggage trolley instead of the usual suitcase trolley. No problem.

I had a lot of walking to do, so after claiming the case I stood it on end and strapped it to a folding luggage roller. A couple of bungees held it fast. Then I could pull it along after me, push it in front of me, or grab it by a strap and the roller handle and carry it up or down stairs. I took it on buses, streetcars, subway trains, and put it in a car trunk.

If you got a case that could hold two Dragonfly kayaks, it would weigh at least forty pounds, probably more. What would you use to carry your PFD and other gear? How heavy a bag do you want to be wheeling and lifting as you travel? I think most airlines charge extra for luggage that weighs more than fifty pounds -- check to be sure, and weigh your bags!
gthorgaard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Options for packing Dragonflies Reply with quote

Thanks for the info about your experiences. It may turn out that packing each on its own may be the best option. We were thinking of having both kayaks in one rolling duffel and then topping any extra weight available (to 50 lbs) with pump or PFDs. However, that might put us into the category of oversize bags, which would lead to extra charges as well.

We were up to Kodiak Island last summer and the kayaking possibilities looked incredible. The only options available were expensive guided tours (no do-it-yourself rentals) and we are thinking that Dragonflies in the sheltered bays would be a great experience.
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the Dragonfly 1 kayaks from '07 or earlier, then you can contact Advanced Elements and buy a Bag that is made for the canoe. It is large enough to fit the two Dragonflies in it. If you have The Dragonfly 1 XC models from this year, then you can also contact Advanced Elements and buy the Dragonfly 2 XC bag, which should be large enough to fit both kayaks.

Jeremy
Cool
gthorgaard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, thanks for the additional info. We have the new model XC kayaks. Will check into the Dragonfly 2 XC bag to find out about it.
PJohanson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're checking the bag or bags, the airline clerk may ask what's in the bag.
One paddling magazine article I read advises to say, "Sports equipment. Kayaking gear."
That writer found in her travels that if she said, "A kayak" that the airline (and once a train) made her pay more, to insure it, as if it were a hardshell kayak that could be crushed. But if she said it was "kayaking gear" they simply measured and weighed the bag like any piece of luggage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Firefly, Dragonfly and Lagoon Single Models All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: