index.php?sid=e6b425aaa975292cf75fc4dfa4ef2f9b AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BAD SMELL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Repairs, Cleaning & Maintainance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sajoe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: BAD SMELL Reply with quote

I spring cleaned my AdvancedFrame kayak and rubbed everything down with ARMORALL and now the inside of the hull smells like cat pee. After throwing my cat outside I checked and that's not the problem. Anyone else have this problem and know how to get rid of it? Is this an ARMORALL problem?
JCOOLEY
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not use Armorall! It can break down the PVC. There are other cleaning products that you can use. McNett has a lineup of products and there are others as well that are specifically for cleaning PVC. The Armorall is probably the cause of the smell. You can wash of the kayak with soft liquid soap and water to try and get rid of the smell and then use a recommended cleaning product.

Jeremy
Cool
PJohanson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armorall may be good in car cleaning, but like Jeremy says, it won't do your AE kayak any good.
Plastic is not all the same! What shines or cleans one kind of plastic-like material will dissolve another kind.
My dragonfly is coming up on three years old. I've had to really "clean" it twice. (Once I bumped along a green scummy dock... ew.)
I put it on the lawn, inflated, and hosed it down. A tiny bit of liquid hand soap on a facecloth worked well to get the green scum off the deck. Hosed it down again, rubbed with a clean facecloth to be sure all the soap was rinsed away.
Sunshine dried the boat quickly. I got the UV protector recommended by Jeremy and the boat is still in good condition after lots of use.
paddlesheep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that smell! It's mold. And it's hard to get out no matter what the cleaner you use. The best solution I've found is to let it sit in some hot sun, lightly inflated for an afternoon. The UV will kill off the smell. Sure it will fade the boat some too but it's a trade off.

Did you put the armorall on the pvc itself of the nylon covering? I don't think you really need to treat the pvc surfaces with anything. UV protecting the deck fabric can help...you should see my friend's Advanced Frame after a couple of years of heavy use! Also spraying waterproofing on the fabric, outdoor scotchgard might work well, could really help in keeping the boat dry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Repairs, Cleaning & Maintainance All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: