index.php?sid=bf6dcbb81a5a08b542c558f5d01f5950 AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fishing set-up (Updated 08th Jan 2011)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Advanced Frame Expedition & Ultralite
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pearly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Fishing set-up (Updated 08th Jan 2011) Reply with quote

Finally took the plunge and bought the Expedition. Set it up last night for the first time. It does take a little practice to get the inflation right, but I should be OK now.

I'm going to keep this thread running as a record of my kayak fishing.

Cheers,

Ian

Last edited by Pearly on Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:00 am; edited 10 times in total
Pearly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First trip out in the new kayak.

Got up around 6.30 and got everything ready – double checked all the gear before setting off to Punggol in Singapore.

Arrived about 8am and set everything up in less than 10 minutes...

Heading to Coney Island

Next stop was the kelong

Pulau Ubin doesn’t look too far away now…

So I decided to go there..

Heading back to Coney..

Kayak handled like a dream! Tracks well, great speed, comfortable, spacious, easy to paddle – no regrets!!
Daddy-O

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some great photos! It looks like you had a great time and had very good weather. Can you give me a step by step tutorial on how you posted those photos? The photos really do speak much louder than just the words. I hope you were able to catch a few fish while you were out too.
Daddy-O
Pearly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fish I'm afraid, but that is not unusual for Singapore!

I use a photo-host called www.photobucket.com - registration and storage is free. Once you have registered, you can upload your photo's and then use the image code in your post. Just copy and paste the IMG code..

There are a few others on the web, but I've been using photobucket for years. BTW, the sailfish were caught and released in Rompin off the East coast of Malaysia - not from my Kayak!! Laughing

You may also want to check out http://www.flickr.com/ as a lot of people use this one too.
Daddy-O

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help. I have a flickr account already, but I might have to setup a photobucket account. I tried getting a photo from flickr onto here without success. Flickr doesn't seem to offer the image code. I look forward to hearing of future trips, and to see your first catch out of the kayak. Cool
Daddy-O
Pearly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Flickr, Go to your account and your photostream. Find the image or photo that you want to post elsewhere and hit the button over to the right-side, "Share This"

You will now be given the option to get the URL of the photo or image, the html of the photo or image, email or send it to a friend, or blog the image!! Depending on what you are going to do, you will need to have another window open with your blog or posting page. Now all you have to do is copy and paste the URL of the photo or image, or copy and paste the html- whichever you need for your purposes.

The html you need is the [IMG] at the beginning and [/IMG] at the end. When you post a new topic or reply here, under the "Subject" line at the top of the page, you see a button with IMG*. When you are ready to place the pic, copy the "http//...." reference to the picture from your photoshare, come to your post here and click the Img button - this will put the first part of the code in. Now paste the link to your photo and click the Img button again.

That should do it!

See the post by Jeremy about Flickr tho... you don't have this problem with photobucket.com

http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=357
Daddy-O

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, that is great information. I know that a lot of people would like to know this. I have seen several posts about people that were frustrated while trying to post pictures on here. I think your last couple of posts should be made into a sticky somewhere for everyone to read. It has really cleared it up for me. Thank you.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearly,
I am just curious about your fishing setup. What do you do with the fish that you want to keep in one of these kayaks? I love to fish, but I don't know about having those sharp fins bouncing around inside or over the side of my kayak.
Daddy-O
BTW, how did you do that picture under your posts? That is really nice!
Pearly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a folding cooler bag. I froze a 1.5litre bottle of water the night before and put it in the cooler bag with the other bottle I was going to drink during the trip. It is 80 to 90oF here! The fish go in the bag. I know some guys have a net which they put the fish in and tow it at the side of the yak, but that'll slow you down.

You can add a picture to your signature in your profile.
Pearly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next plan is for a folding lightweight trolley!!

Went out on Friday morning to test out the rod holders. They work fine and was able to do some trolling as well as bottom fishing - no fish though, small bites only.

Problem was, I had set out at high tide, but came back at low tide - no place to get out, due to the now exposed sea wall! So I paddled over to the yacht club and came out on their ramp. That thing is damn slippery though! As I was pulling the kayak out, I slipped and ripped my hand on some barnacles! Now wet and bruised, the kayak felt so heavy as I carried it back to the car!! Now looking for a folding trolley to make my life easier! I may be able to modify it into a motor mount when it is folded, so I can do some motorized trolling one day.
Daddy-O

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearly,
I'm sorry to hear about your accident with the barnacles. Those things are very unforgiving. I grew up in Florida, and watched a friend get thrown onto some barnacles by a wave (it wasn't a pretty sight). It was a good thing that there were plenty of people close by to help him.

The pictures of your rod holder look great. Is it strapped down in any way? I guess I am wondering if a big fish or some mishap could pull it out (or partially out). I also didn't notice if you had any way to leash your rods to it (maybe you use the D rings in the back for that).

I have begun to read up on kayak fishing. There are some real die-hard kayak fishermen out there. I didn't realize that it was so big in some parts of the world. It's got me wanting to do some fishing out of my kayak (probably the Convertible). I think I will only take two poles out with me along with whatever necessary equipment (but nothing extra). I don't want to lose my poles or equipment in the event of a spill, or high waves, or a bad landing, or whatever, so I am trying to figure out a way to lock everything into the kayak. You can just bolt things down to a hard shell, but need to be a little more innovative with these inflatables.

Looks like you've got a nice setup. Now to find the fish. Very Happy You know you will have to take a picture of your catch, now, to show us that it is worth all the effort. Wink

Daddy-O
Pearly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of changing the design to make it more rigid..

The original is OK, but like you, I am a little worried about too much stress on the joints. The Expedition has a small strap at the back of the cockpit which lines up nicely with the horizontal tube.

I tie a line round my rods and onto the strap for the seat. "Leash it or lose it" as they say. I also have a paddle leash.

BTW - If you haven't already... Check out THIS forum! http://www.akff.net/forum/index.php
Pearly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New toy, new toy...

Daddy-O

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooooooo, nice! Those fish won't be able to hide from you now! I'm looking forward to seeing the how you set it all up. Congratulations, BTW!
Daddy-O
Pearly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started..

Just trying to work out how to mount the display! Need a plastic disc of some sort that I can bolt the display onto and then push this into the T piece that the transponder hangs off. The transponder needs to be removable, so I won't glue it into the T piece.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Advanced Frame Expedition & Ultralite All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: