index.php?sid=c53c394414c82aa0eec89eb0d8fc3f42 AdvancedElements.com
Cutting Edge Inflatable Kayaks

Homepage   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fishing set-up (Updated 08th Jan 2011)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Advanced Frame Expedition & Ultralite
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pearly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummingbird fish finder with side imaging. CI-SI 797. An impressive gadget but you won't need to get one of these for kayak fishing action.
Pearly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayak Fishing – 26/27 Sept - Sentosa & Special Spot

I was a Lone Ranger on Tanjung Beach early on Saturday morning. Once more, faced with a choice of left or right. On the left is Pulau Tekukor (Turtle Dove Island) - one of the Southern Islands of Singapore. The island was also known as Pulau Penyabong and is also the site of a former ammunition dump. Beyond that is St. John’s Island where I know the currents are too fierce for kayaking. Conscious of being on my own, I opted for the safer journey to the right, past the Southernmost Point of Singapore and the wooden huts of “The Songs of the Sea” show.

Southernmost Point of Singapore

“The Songs of the Sea”

Once I arrived at the huts, I thought I’d drop a line down for some bait fish. The rod tip danced as the bait hit and then bent over as something bigger took hold. As the line shot off to one direction, the load felt lighter and lighter and then to the surface came one small Queen fish on the last remaining hook! I guess there must have been a few of them waiting down there!

I put her back in, but the next drop was the same, so I cast out a rubber lure which was instantly taken by a flying Queenie, but spat out again as she danced. The next 4 casts were the same, but without a solid hook-up. After this, I couldn’t get a take on other lures, so moved over to the small island in front of the showground. Here I hooked up a beautiful reef fish, which could not get the whole hook in its greedy mouth.

Time was now running out, so I had to get back and look forward to tomorrow’s trip.

Sunday was an early 6am meeting with Mervin at the tackle shop in Yishun to buy some live prawn. Once our temptations were in the back, we headed back to the car and were surprised to see Boon driving up. He was heading out on a solo mission to try out his new fishfinder, so asked if he could join us. Introduced him to Merv and away we went, just as it started to rain!!

Luckily, the rain was only a brief passing shower and the sky soon cleared. As we reached the first spot, nothing was showing on the finders, but we stopped for a while to see if any fish were passing by. I had a take and up shot a Giant Herring – Phtooi – spat the hook! DANG!!!

Merv & I anchored in the same spot, but Boon was drifting about 30 meters away. Boon said he was showing fish, so we tightened our grip on the rods and waited for some fishy action to come our way. Next time I looked over, Boon’s rod was bent over….FISH ON!! Out leapt a Herring! Lucky bugger! We’ve had several takes of Herring at this spot, but always thrown the hook as they leap up out of the water. But Boon’s fish was on tight and would surely come to the yak. As I paddled over, Boon brought up the fish and for the first time, we could see one of them up close.

This was Boon’s 3rd trip on the yak and 2nd good fish!

Next to bend was my rod and up shot another Herring. Phtooi – spat the hook again!! The next 3 takes were the same! I changed to some smaller hooks and put them as a double hook rig on a long hook length – both hooks into one prawn. I guess the prawn didn’t like this much, so my apologies to the prawn. My rod tip took a big dive and a strong pull was taking line under my yak. I tightened the drag and pulled back. If this was a herring, it was a bloody big one! As I retrieved line, the swivel showed, but I still couldn’t see the fish! The water was quite dark, but I was half expecting to see the silver of a Barramundi. What then showed its face was a big smiling Catfish! This was a big fish which swirled around and took another dive, followed by another and another. Slowly I lifted it’s head out of the water and brought it closer to get the lip-grip on. 7lbs on the Boga – GOTCHA!!

After a few photo’s, released the pussy, changed the rig (the other was covered in slime) and dropped back down for some more fishy action. Once again, fish showed on the finder and my rod tip took a dive, but this didn’t feel like a Catfish or Herring. This one was tugging and I at first thought it was a snapper, but as the fish came up, it was a small Orange Spotted Grouper – a surprise visitor to this spot! He almost looked as surprised as I was!

He went back in and said thank you with a splash of his tail. Next up was Mervin with a nice Ang Cho.

Another bend on my rod and a few good strikes from me to set the hook. The Herring shot out and…..stayed on! Yaaahoooo!!!! Finally!!

These are a beautiful fish, but are supposed to have a lot of bones, so people don’t like them much. Unfortunately, you have to put them back quickly too, or they quickly die from stress. This one was bleeding from the gills, so went into the bag. I guess I’ll find out how many bones they have!

A little while later and my rod dipped again, line peeling off to one side. Set the hook again and out jumps another Herring. The line went slack as it fell back to the water, but then tightened again – still on! Out she came for a photo shoot, but this was bleeding more than the first, so I now have 2 Herring in the bag. OK, enough of Herring already, but they are good fun to catch!

Cheers,

Ian
Pearly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayak Fishing – 03 October – Diamond fever!!

WOW!!! What an exiting day we had today!!

Met up early with Mervin & Mathew to get some prawns and ready for the off. Arrived at the launch site about 6.30am and saw a large flock of birds circling around. “Must be a good sign!” said Mathew. “Must mean there are loads of fish around today!”

“Yeah, they represent big shoals of fish!” I replied with a chuckle.

Wasting no time today – rising tide, nice and calm. Bait loaded into the tubes and off we went. We hadn’t paddled very far and fish started to show on the finder. I started off using Berkley Gulp – Nuclear Chicken flavour artificial bait today. Instantly had a fish on – a Herring shot out of the water – PHTOOI!! Spat the rubber back out again!

Never mind – dropped back down again and could feel some more nibbles. Rod tip dipped, line zoomed off, wait for it…..wait for it…..STRIKE! Up shoots another Herring…..PHTOOI!!!! Spits the rubber out again!!

Down again and after a few more casts, something bigger took the bait. Rod is now bent over in a deep C shape and line is being dragged off. ZZZZZzzzZZZZZzzzZZZZ…..BOINK!! FISH OFF!! DANG!!! That was a good fish!!!

“Lots of fish under me!” exclaimed Merv. “Lots of fish…>FISH ON!!! WOOOHOOO!!”

Merv took his time and up comes his first Herring!

Mathew had come over now and soon he had some Herring jumping out around him, happily spitting out the hooks as they leapt out of the water!

About 5 minutes later, Merv was into a good fish. No aerobatics this time tho – just line being pulled off in every direction. “Oh oh! – It’s going around the anchor rope!” shouts Merv. “HELP!!”

I was anchored about 20 meters away, so Mathew paddled in for the rescue. After a few exciting moments, the net went down and in there lies a nice Chermin! Way to go Merv!

That’s it, off with the rubber and on with the live prawn!

Next in was Merv again….and then Mathew a few seconds later. They were a bit close and the fish decided to team up. Both round the anchor rope this time!! Patience prevailed and both fish came up into the net.

My rod then dipped and line started to peel off. Wait,….wait….STRIKE! FISH ON!!! Boy these fish are strong! As line came back on, the fish showed its silver and came up in big circles. You beauty!!!

I paddled around to see where the fish were and suddenly, a large black column came up on the fish finder and the depth started to flash. Oh no…my fish finder must be faulty! Oh no it isn’t – FISH ON!!!! They were FISH!!! A big column of them! Once again, Merv was also in and the fish once again found their way to his anchor rope! Mathew to the rescue again and managed to get both fish in the net at the same time.

We all had a few more takes and fish coming in, one by one. My only other species for the day was another pussy – 5lb on the Boga. Put her back in after a quick foto and carried on with the hunt.

After trying a few more spots, time was up for me, so we laid out the fish for a total count and I left the other two to carry on fishing!

Fishtastic day again!!

Thanks to Merv & Mathew for an action packed morning. Most of the fish were caught in the first two hours btw!!

Cheers,

Ian
torres77

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive catches! U fellas were spot on!
Pearly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks. It was a good weekend for fishing. Time & tide were just right. The moon on Sunday was huge, but I was on the west side and the waters were not good, so finished very early. October's a good time this year, so we'll see how we get on this weekend.

Have you guys been out again??
torres77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our plan this Sat is Sembawang with 4 kayaks. Finally my wife is willing to sacrifice her beauty sleep and try with me. Would be starting at 830am. Hope to catch you guys in the sea (knowing that you fellas are always super duper early birds!)
Pearly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sembawang?? Then there will be a record number of yaks there this Saturday! Melvin and I will be setting off from Sembawang beach about 6:30am, Skunk and 2 or 3 other guys will arrive about 8:30 to 9am. Skunk has a hard-shell, but also has 2 straightedge yaks. We'll be baiting and luring.

See you there!!
torres77

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

super cool! it's the fellowship of the kayakists man!
jimbo1958

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Pearly, I've really enjoyed your thread. I've owned AE Straightedge kayaks for about 3 years now (used mostly for whitewater, but am getting tired of getting wet and I love to fish) and am really happy with the quality of these boats, and just bought the AF Expedition. Looking forward to employing your designs for the fishfinder and rod holders. Do you have any more detail of how you mounted the display unit with description of fittings used? Also curious what battery you are using and where it is placed?
Pearly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks.

The finder is mounted on a frame inside the yak which also has the benefit of lifting the deck and providing a firm table to rest things on.

A, B, C are the outside dimensions in millimeters, 1 - 5 are the pipe lengths. This is all in 15mm uPVC.

Make it up as a dry fit first and once you've tried it for fit, mark each of the joints for allignment, undo the joints and glue it all up.

Into the T piece fits the arm for the sounder and then the display. The display base cn be bolted onto an end cap and then glued onto a short piece of pipe which will insert into the T. Don't glue this into the T tho - you need to be able to remove the sounder and display! I was originally going to mount the sounder at the stern, but in its current location, I can clear it of weed or other rubbish.

Hope that all makes sense?

As for the positioning of the mount, I open the zip a little and poke it through the opening.

Last edited by Pearly on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:30 am; edited 3 times in total
Daddy-O

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearly,
I just finished catching up on your fishing exploits. It looks like you are having a great time fishing! I loved the pics and the stories. Keep it up!! This is good stuff.
Daddy-O
Pearly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daddy-O. Haven't seen your adventures for a while now, but nice to know you're still out and about with the yak.
Daddy-O

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearly,

We are till using the kayaks. I took a long trip yesterday. I am still not fishing out of mine yet. I have some fishing gear coming that should arrive in about a month. I have a crate set up to use as a rod / equipment holder. I don't know how far out you go in yours (in open water), but I have gotten into some very large swells and some moderate waves, and it handles just great. I love my new (not so new now) high-back seat. I can sit in my kayak all day long in comfort now.

I love to read your stories and see your pictures. It looks like you've enticed several other people into inflatable kayak fishing also, and it looks like you are all having a great time! Way to go!

Daddy-O
Pearly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayak Fishing – 10/11 October – East & North Coasts

Not a great deal of fishy action this weekend, but an adventure, nonetheless.

Saturday was a meeting of 3 yaks on the East Coast – Patrick, Mervin & me…

We had some wrecks plotted on the GPS and a few likely places to paddle to. As the dark clouds of the early morning lifted, we paddled our way out to sea.

Our target was the edge of the anchorage where all the ghost ships have been sitting, waiting for the economy to pick up and trade resume. A few fishy looking places passed under our fish-finders which we intended to try on the way back after getting some baitfish (Tamban) at one of the marker buoys.

Merv stopped to start getting his gear ready on the way to the first spot and Patrick & I paddled on. Reaching the spot, I dropped down a Tamban jig and pulled up a full line of sweet little Tamban. Each drop was the same and I soon had a bait tube full of wriggling silver fish and another 20 or so in the bag – they taste great fried until crispy, so you can eat them, bones and all. A few rumbles of thunder and grey skies were looming over Singapore, but these were passing away from us.

Patrick then took over and pulled in another few strings.

Once Patrick was happy with his haul, we turned to head back to the fishy bits. Mervin had drifted away by this time and was back along the coastline – at the second spot. More grey was coming in. This was a deep, dark grey and approaching fast. Looking to the coast, looking for Mervin, looking to the clouds, looking at the finder and back to the clouds, this did not look like a happy fishing scene.

The wind was now picking up and the grey mass was obviously not going to pass us by. “Better get back in to the coast!” I shouted to Patrick. As we paddled back, the grey was catching up. The wind was getting stronger and small white crests started to form on the ever growing waves.

We picked up the pace and could see Merv was heading back to the launch site in front of us. The wind picked up even more and was actually blowing us back on the crest of the waves! If only I’d had a sail!! It was a bit of a struggle to keep the yak straight, as the wind was trying to push the stern faster than the bow. Patrick was now struggling a bit more than I was – this was only his third trip out! He was still heading in a straight line, just a different line to the one I was on, but we were still heading in the right direction. As we neared the shore, the rain was lashing down and I had visions of “The Perfect Storm” going through my head, waiting for a huge tidal wave to come up from behind.

Patrick couldn’t make it to the same beach, so came in on the other side of a storm drain, while I rode the surf in to the beach Merv was waiting on. I was actually happy to have made it back!!

By now it was a full blown storm, so we took shelter and tried to call Patrick. No answer on Patrick’s phone and no sign of his yak, so I went over to the storm drain and looked over to see Patrick sorting his gear out on the beach. I gave a loud whistle and waved across. He waved back so retreated back to the storm shelter. Half an hour or so passed and the sky started to show some signs of recovery. Broken clouds let the blue light in the distance shine through and a little while later Patrick was back in the yak and making his way back to the launch site. As he came in to the beach we were on, we went down to greet him, helped him out of his yak and said “Ready for round 2?” Poor Patrick looked exhausted, so we gave him 10 minutes to regain some energy and then we all set off again!

We were now at spot number 2 and searching for fish, but nothing was showing. Patrick managed to find a nice little bream.

Lattice Monocle Bream (Scolopsis Taenioptera)

A while later, I too found one..

And that was it for the day. No big takes, no big fish, but quite a fun trip.

Sunday was supposed to be an early start! We had arranged to meet up at a car park on the North side at 6am. Half way to the carpark, that nagging feeling in the back of my mind came to the realization that I had actually forgotten something! My lures along with my fishfinder and paddles were still sitting in the store room at home! So I had to turn back and pick them up. This led to a much later start and Boon had now been waiting about 40 minutes for my arrival! So sorry, Boon!

Anyway, we set up quickly and got onto the water, which was like a misty lake this morning.

The prawn fishers were out earlier than we were and were busy casting nets along the tree lined mangroves.

We cast along the edge of the mangroves, me on lures and Boon using live prawn. We came to a familiar spot and I paddled across to the far side of a small inlet. As I retrieved my second cast, I heard an excited “FISH ON!! I turned round to see a bar of silver dancing on the water beside Boon’s yak. He carefully brought it in and proudly displayed his prize.

We tried and tried for another fish, but no more takers on this day.

Still, there’s always the next time.

Thanks to Patrick, Merv & Boon for a great weekend. Much better than working!

Cheers,

Ian
Pearly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayak Fishing – 17 October – The meeting of the kayaks!

As was setting the alarm clock for 4:30am, I thought “Who’s stupid idea was that?” It was actually my idea, so I’ve no-one else to blame! As the coffee kicked in, 5am came round and I was out the door.

Met up with Mathew and Merv for some roti prata in Yishun, picked up the prawns and we were on our way to Sembawang.

There was a red mist draped over the sunrise this morning. I guess the haze from the burning of the forests of Indonesia has not finished yet.

As we set off to the first spot, Merv (aka Inspector Gadget) said he was going to look for fish, armed with his iPhone and super duper fish finder. He now has Navionics loaded onto his iPhone, so can get the GPS location of likely contours of the sea bed.

About 100m away, Merv shouts out “FISH!!”. His rod is bent over and Mathew and I are now paddling frantically to get in on the action. 2 Ang Cho come up on his Apollo, but these are not ready for a photo – Merv deals with these two quickly and then drops his rig straight back down for more fish! As we are getting closer, another bend in Merv’s rod brings up a nice Grouper! Once again, this is dealt with and back down for some more fish!

Once we are in the same location, our rods are poised for some action. They stay poised for about half an hour before Merv goes looking for fish again! Merv gets another small Grouper, but Mathew had decided to keep close to the gadget man this time and as he gets closer…. FISH ON!! Mathew’s kayak turns as the fish fights and the up comes a Chermin!

A little while later, my rod finally took a dive and I had a tugging fish on the other end of the line. Not knowing what to expect, a brown shape started to come to the surface and up came a snarling Tiger Grouper. This was turning into quite a morning!

It is my dad’s 81st birthday today, so I dedicate this fish to my Pop!

Today was a little different (apart from my dad’s birthday) as we were expecting Torres and his group to be joining us at some stage. We could see some yaks in the distance, but they were going to be a while catching up with us.

So we set off looking for more fish in deeper water. With none to be had, however, we paddled back in to meet the new group!

It was great to finally meet these guys! This gave the yak count a boost and comprised 1 Airis, 1 AE Expedition, 1 AE 10.5, 1 AE Straight Edge, 3 AE Convertibles and another Expedition on his own little expedition paddling from Sembawang to Punggol!

Sorry I couldn’t get us all in one shot!

As Torres’ group moved off to look for fish in deeper water, we stayed on in the same area chasing shadows and hoping for another school. Mathew was in again and up came….. another Chermin!

That was it for our fish! We tried a lot of different spots and even went back into the mangroves to look for something bigger, but came out empty handed.

It was now early afternoon and we headed back to the launch. Torres n co were also on their way back, but not empty handed. They had managed to pull up 3 nice Cao Xi (Spotted Sicklefish). Hope you guys have some more photo’s to add in!

Another great day with some great kakis!!

Thanks again!

Ian
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AdvancedElements.com Forum Index -> Advanced Frame Expedition & Ultralite All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 7 of 23

Jump to: