need PFD advise

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

DarkCatt

need PFD advise

Post by DarkCatt » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:58 am

I just bought my first Kayak and its a AE convertible tandem. It has yet to be delivered by AMAzon so I am scrambling to get all the gear I need.

My main question is PFD's:

I was thinking about going inflatable as it is easies to pack and cooler in the summer, however i will be out on Lake Michigan in Chicago. I am also considering doing some traveling.

Whats the best way to go for an affordable portable reliable PFD?

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:41 pm

If you're still interested in the inflatable vest I can highly suggest Mustang Survival. The MD3081 is what I have, which seems to be the MD3085 now. Here's the link:

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreati ... activation

I find it incredible comfortable especially during those hot summer days. I wouldn't say its inexpensive but it offers some real benefits that I must admit spoiled me. I think there are some less expensive versions out there. You'd have to look.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon May 02, 2011 9:52 pm

A PFD that is cooler to wear in the summer is the Orbit from Kokatat. Instead of being like a jacket that wraps all around your ribs, this is more of a small triangular front and back connected by straps. It lets your arms move freely, and allows heat to escape under your arms, on your ribs and on your upper chest if you are large.
The Orbit fits and suits big-shouldered males well, but I use one even though I'm a short and plump female. Two sizes, S/M and M/L. I pulled the straps very short on an M/L and it nearly fits me.