PFD's for the Kayaker

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Richard

PFD's for the Kayaker

Post by Richard » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:50 pm

I'm looking to replace an older and worn PFD with a new PFD specifically designed for the kayaker and for a female, in particular. I have noticed that some manufacturer's have models especially suited for women but I would be looking at a PFD that could be worn by either male or female . Not looking for the "rescue" type rather a good-quality, well-fitting, and versatile one made with the kayaker in mind.
Any suggestions regarding brand, model, price and names of retailers (near Vancouver BC, Canada) would be very helpful.
Thanks.

Rookie4570

Post by Rookie4570 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:01 am

Hi Richard,

The wife and I both use a Stohlquist Wedge.

http://www.stohlquist.com/dyn_prod.php? ... 15&k=29467

Pretty comfortable we found as it sits a little higher on your back. They also make a Lady's called the BetSEA that I would seriously consider. Not sure how to say this..... if she well endowed, the extra cup room may be more comfortable. :D

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:21 am

Check with MTI as well.

Jaybo777

Post by Jaybo777 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:17 pm

Check out the NRS Groove PFD. Very nice and comfortable.

http://www.backpacker.com/equipment/ite ... e-pfd.html

PJohanson

PFD styles

Post by PJohanson » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:29 pm

I've been using an Orbit from Kokatat and it's pretty good, but your wife may prefer a BetSea or a MsFit or a Venus. If you go to a page my partner set up, you can see photos of me in an Orbit at http://www.flickr.com/photos/77699516@N ... 878770140/
The Orbit is often preferred by people who want free movement of their arms. I'm getting very interested in a PFD designed for a short, full-figured person rather than a tall adult or a thin youth. Shall have to make a version to show the designers what sort of difference being short or being plump really means when fitting a PFD.

Richard

PFD Purchased

Post by Richard » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:31 pm

After trying on various models, my wife found the Betsea from Stohlquist to be the most comfortable. Made especially for women, it fitted her very well; and, according to the salesperson at the kayak store, it is extremely popular with female kayakers.
Thanks to all for their suggestions. Richard

NAVYVET

Post by NAVYVET » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:07 pm

I initially used a foam PFD, but it was just too hot to use in the humid summer days of Southern Illinois. I'd be drenched in sweat almost as soon as I got into the kayak.
Now, I use an inflatable PFD from Cabela's. (Specifically, the Guardian Series Angler Manual 3500.) It's light and, unlike the ones we used in the Navy, the fabric around the neck is very comfortable to wear all day.
I got a Manual, rather than the Automatic, because I didn't want to take the chance of it inflating accidentally from splashing.
I still have the foam PFD, and it'd be fine for the cooler months. I still find it more convenient and comfortable to wear an inflatable one.