Protecting your back

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

elitzur1

Protecting your back

Post by elitzur1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:01 pm

Hello everyone.
I have purchased the expedition some two months ago. It is a very good buy and handles mediterranean waves and winds very well. However I find it very heavy, especially when wet and sandy. Additionally, I find pumping to be very strenous on my lower back. I thought someone may benefit from my short experience: 1. I carry the duffel bag with straps on my shoulder and bag slung on the back, as far back as possible. The best way is to lift it (ie on the car's engine hood), and take it on your shoulder from there. Anther possibility is to take the straps on both shoulders as a backpack. I don't take it any distance lifting it with one hand only. 2. Use the hand pump sitting down, bracing it with your feet (it is slanted). This way the strain is on the hands, not the back. I believe this simple advice may be of help since it is different than what is seen on youtube. Would be happy to hear ideas on the subject.

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:10 am

Hi,

You also could think about the following:

Some days ago I saw someone with an inflatable (other brand, don't know which) and it had a trolley to store it on. I guess it isn't to hard to make some sort of trolley with oversized wheels to go on sand.

For the pumping: there are several pumps with a battery. They aren't that price either.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:03 am

The cart that AE sells (AE3010, see accessories) works pretty well, especially if you have to carry the kayak any kind of distance. I removed the straps and use bungy cords that stretch around the kayak tightly. The straps were a bit of pain to deal with. I have used it on several surfaces including sand and it has performed well. Much easier than carrying it any day. Only problem is that its one more item you have to lug back to the car. Such is life.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:33 pm

A couple of accessories to look at...

AE2003 12V electric pump
AE3010 Kayak Dolly
AE2016 Compact Cart
AE3011 Kayak Pack (due out in August 2011)
AE3003 Roller Duffel

elitzur1

Post by elitzur1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:40 am

Thank you all.