Making your own V shaped sail for an AE Convertable

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Fisherking

Making your own V shaped sail for an AE Convertable

Post by Fisherking » Wed May 28, 2008 7:13 am

Ok as some of you know I've been very busy customizing my kayak. Wel now it's time to make a V shaped sail. The reason I want one is sometimes we're pretty far offshore fishing and we are very tired from a hard days fishing. Since Japan mostly gets nice breezes heading towards the shore this would be just perfect to have one on hand.

So I'm sure many kayakers know this site:
http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/grantgla ... tssail.htm

This is pretty much the only site or info I found that actually shows how they did it.

This should be a snap to make and to get it to mounted to the front of my kayak. Of course after it's done I will make a youtube video and show how I did it for others to see and share.

I just have one question.... What would be the best material to use for the mast poles?

1. PVC tubing
2. Bamboo
3. Tent poles (stronger types)

Looking foward to starting this new project and please don't hesitate to ask questions.

Nigelman 8)

joren

Post by joren » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:34 pm

Cool! Please do report back how this works.

If it were me, I would be looking at thin wall ( .065 inch) aluminum tubing, and make your own collapsable mast poles. If you're into kayak modding, you probably know about Tom Yost at yostwerks.com . He uses it in his DIY folding/inflatable kayaks.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:26 pm

Nigelman. sounds like some interesting ideas!
There's lots of stuff online, and books & magazines too, by people who kayak with a sail or a kite. Be sure you read some of this stuff, eh? It may give you some great advice.
Local yachters and sailboaters will be able to tell you about the local winds. Apparantly anabatic and katabatic winds come at different times of day, so that sometimes the winds blow offshore and sometimes onshore... Sounds like sailing is a science, and a fun one at that. Let the experts help you have fun!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:24 am

Just to let everyone know, we are in the process of designing a sail to work with the kayaks. It maybe available by next year.

Jeremy
8)

Fisherking

Post by Fisherking » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:00 am

It's done and I'll be doing a second test this week sometime....it's pretty dam good if you ask me. I'll make a video and take lots of pictures. In total it took me about 3 weeks to make and fabricated everyting from the sail to the mounting system. I honestly think AE will be interested in seeing how I did this!!!

Will report back 8)

FK

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:20 am

I'd really like to hear how this is coming along. I live in the Dominican Republic and, where I live, we have a breeze going out to sea in the am that changes direction normally in the late morning, and heads inland (usually a pretty stiff breeze in the afternoon). A sail would be very nice to have.
Daddy-O
**EDIT** Never mind. I just saw your other post with the link to your video. It looks like you've got it figured out. Thanks for sharing the information with the rest of us.