Safety gear recommendation: STORM WHISTLE

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

KayakJack

Safety gear recommendation: STORM WHISTLE

Post by KayakJack » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:54 pm

I always have an cheapo emergency whistle attached to my life jacket. I also carry it with me when I go hiking/camping.

Recently, I came across the Storm Whistle, which is the same emergency whistle adopted by the US Army.

I've heard about this whistle but was skeptical. I was in my local Army/Navy store and saw it for sale, $8. I bought it out of curiosity and couldn't wait to try it out.It is the best whistle I've ever come across! The thing is L-O-U-D, probably one of the loudest whistle I've ever used! It also even works underwater!

Their URL is: http://www.stormwhistles.com/

Be sure to cover your ears when testing! :)

waddle

Post by waddle » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:46 am

Thanks for the recommendation. I had seen these before and kept forgetting to check them out. I'll be getting a couple of those.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:41 pm

A Storm Whistle would have to be loud to be louder than a Fox 40, the pealess whistle used by Canadian hockey referees.
As my partner learned when testing his own Fox 40 for loudness, Remove Hat FIRST.
My paddle group keeps whistles clipped to our PFDs, too! But we've also got a couple of small air horns. I'm hard of hearing, and can't always hear a whistle. An air horn is much louder, but not to be used for play, as it is obnoxious for anyone around the bay.

KayakJack

Post by KayakJack » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:04 am

I was debating between a Fox 40 and the Storm when I was deciding on a safety whistle.

Then I found this review:
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001619.php

The Fox is rated at 115 dB and the Storm is 118-120dB.

PJohanson wrote:A Storm Whistle would have to be loud to be louder than a Fox 40, the pealess whistle used by Canadian hockey referees.
As my partner learned when testing his own Fox 40 for loudness, Remove Hat FIRST.
My paddle group keeps whistles clipped to our PFDs, too! But we've also got a couple of small air horns. I'm hard of hearing, and can't always hear a whistle. An air horn is much louder, but not to be used for play, as it is obnoxious for anyone around the bay.