Where's the bathroom?

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Daddy-O

Where's the bathroom?

Post by Daddy-O » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:46 am

Where's the bathroom? I was thinking about this a couple of days ago, while thinking about an overnight trip that I would like to take sometime in the future. Of course, I know what to do when we are at shore, but what do you do when paddling and the urge hits you? I did some searching, and discovered that some people just go in their kayaks and wash it out later. That doesn't sound too appealing to me, especially when thinking about paddling tandem!

I found a portable urinal for men and something called a lady j that the women can use if in their kayaks, or even on shore if they desire. I showed it to my wife, and she was less than enthusiastic about it. I used to be a boy scout though, and have never forgot our motto, "Be prepared". Anybody else keep this stuff with them when on long paddles? I might have to watch the coffee and tea intake on paddle days. ;)
Daddy-O

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:45 pm

Aha! You have realized the sober fact that everyone has to face sooner or later.
The ideal is to be able to wait till you're on shore, and follow the local protocol: real bathrooms, biffy/pit toilet, digging a cat-hole above high tide line, or using the beach below high tide line. Some parks or protected areas require you to pack out Absolutely Everything, and yup, that means everything. Parks which insist on that will also provide a pamphlet (paper or on-line) telling park users HOW to pack out Absolutely Everything, possibly by using a "poop tube."
Don't know what that device is? Check on my paddle group's website at http://kayakyak.blogspot.com/2008/01/ye ... l#comments and read my post "Yet Another Handmade Craft." There's a link to a website at http://www.fastq.com/~jrschroeder/poop.htm that shows how to make a poop tube.

As for the times one just can't wait to get to shore, well, good luck. One of my friends when river paddling with his daughters will pitch either kid into a quiet part of the river and then lift her back into the boat. He's big, they're small and swim like otters.
I too don't like to go in the kayak. Some guys get by with using a plastic cup or a cut-down water bottle without sharp edges, ditto for some gals. The little "lady j" you mention (and similar gear) is sold in camping stores -- some women like them. But I wear a wetsuit, and there's no sneaking out of it to take a quick leak while still in the kayak.
My own resolution is Not To Be Fussy. That means if I have to raft up with my buddy's boat and hold her boat steady and cheerfully stare in the opposite direction while she wrestles with her gear and a cup, so be it. No grief. I do reserve the right to sing loudly some shamefully ribald song. It also means that if on finally getting to shore I spend a moment wading waist-deep while getting some water into my kayak and then getting it out, there is also no grief.

It's not worth getting dehydrated by not drinking any water or juice. (You're right to avoid coffee and tea, tho!) Here in our cold water we wear wetsuits; no matter how annoying it is to wriggle out of a wetsuit to take a leak, it's way more annoying to get dehydrated.

Roadtorque

Post by Roadtorque » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:30 pm

I would think the little John with the lady J adaptor or the freshette director are your best bets other than jumping into the water to do your business.

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:02 am

PJohanson, I read the information on your poop tube. It's all fun and giggles until you miss (or partially miss) the coffee filter/paper towel. :x I won't be wearing a wet suit (thankfully) down here in our warm waters. I fully agree with your post about keeping hydrated. It's no fun being dehydrated (been there and done that). :(

Thinking about this reminds me of what we used to say years ago, "You do what ya gotta do." I guess there is more to getting back to nature than just getting back to nature. I could tell you some stories relating to this subject after living for 8 years in a third world country, but I'll leave them for a more appropriate time (if there is such a thing).

Daddy-O

p-cakes

Restroom Equipment for the Ladies

Post by p-cakes » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:10 pm

I see this string is a bit old, but thought I'd add my two cents. I highly recommend the Whiz Easy. Saw it at last year's Outdoor Retailer show in SLC and it's awesome! I use frequently for hiking, but haven't used it in a kayak yet. It can be used in a sitting position. Purchase at whizeasy.com. I'm not afiliated with WE, just a loyal customer.

robbyw

Going while kayaking..

Post by robbyw » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:22 am

I talked to a guy who paddled over 2000 miles from Buenos Aires to Rio and he said he simply went overboard and did it in the water

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:04 am

Where did he paddle, don't you have those little fish in Brazil that go up your, well you know...

wanderlust

Post by wanderlust » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:32 pm

If you really think you won't be able to 'hold it' and there's no where to stop you could bring along a Depends.

sonar

Post by sonar » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:45 pm

I have never ever thought about it.

If i have to go I pull somewhere.
I guess it may have to be something I will have to sort out in time just in case the area is Busy and there is Nowhere to go.