Kayak Camping

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

MDO

Kayak Camping

Post by MDO » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:39 am

My husband and I are planning our fist kayak camping for the weekend of Sept. 26th. Space is limited (I have 10.5 AF, he has 13 feet Expedition) so we are trying to plan this carfully.

Has anyone evey used the kayak floor as a sleeping pad???

Any suggestions on packing, equipment etc. would be greatly appreciated.

borisf

Post by borisf » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:38 am

As I mentioned earlier two of us spent a night on the Crab Lake bringing everything one need for the overnight camping on our AF Convertible. There is almost no space for the gear under the deck in the double mode. Thus everything was placed on the top of the kayak. The gear was evenly distributed in three places: bow, stern and in the middle of the yak between the paddlers. This third place needs one condition - the weight has to be distributed on the tubes and not on the deck cover to prevent legs of the second paddler from the jam. Of course we used lacing on the bow and a set of spring ropes with the hooks (e.g. from Can Tire) of various length on the stern and in the middle of the yak.

Unfortunately I've no picture of thus equipped yak to show here.

I think you'll have even more space and freedom to distribute your gear on the two yaks. Of course the more weight is under the deck the more stable and wind/wave proof your yak is. But even in our "worst case scenario" yak was still stable and mobile (navigable I'd say). I think this has to encourage you a lot :-)

Just in case: I uploaded new albums from our family trip to French River. Of course with our AF Convertible which had to compete with the numerous motor-boats there. And it did!
This is the bookmark:
http://picasaweb.google.com/boris4senko ... directlink
or http://picasaweb.google.com/boris4senko

MDO

Kayak floor

Post by MDO » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:49 pm

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried using the kayak's floor as a sleeping pad - to save on packing space?

borisf

Post by borisf » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:16 am

It sounds as a "fresh" idea, though somebody on this forum already promised to publish the picture of him sleeping into kayak. I'd better wait for comments from AE people especially after numerous reminders from Jeremy to be very cautious with the floor for not to damage the floor strips. It's very possible that one sleeping/fidgeting on the floor can damage it. I'm using regular foam sleeping pad - it weights nothing and can be used for many purposes. Secondly, I don't like dismount my yak to remove the floor - I keep it on the bank ready to go fishing at any moment.
Nevertheless we're waiting for your experience (and Jeremy's comments) :-).

icarl

Post by icarl » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:51 pm

I was considering just packing a hammock for sleeping on

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:18 pm

I have climbed inside the expedition and fallen asleep while on the water. Works well. Using it on the ground however I can't say. My quess is an air matress is an air matress.

gendoline

Post by gendoline » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:11 am

I want to start learn kayak.How should i start and what is the best kayak? There are different kind of kayak when i went for shopping !!! Flat , ... and ... .What is differences between them and from where i should start ?
Last edited by gendoline on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:04 pm

Well I assume you are interested in an inflatable. In which case it depends on the type of kayaking you are wanting to do and distances. The two kayaks I would suggest are the Advance Frame (AF) and the Advanced Frame Expedition (AE). They are basically the same except the AF is 10.5 feel long and the AE is 13.5 feet long. If you are planning to use the kayak for lakes, large rivers, bays, and ocean kayaking then these kayaks are perfect. The Expedition tracks better because of its length. I would suggest purchasing the backbone as well, for either model.

The advantage of an inflatable is that you can store it easily if you don't have room for a hard shell, which I don't. I keep mine in the back of my Ford Explorer. And you can travel on an airplane with it. If you travel on airplanes alot I would probably lean more toward the AF because of the weight. The Expedition, which I have, is about 44 lbs but if you add the backbone, the paddles and other items you can easily get over the 50 lb. mark. Especially if its a little wet. The AF would give you a little more room to play with. I sometimes mail some of the items to post offices where I am going to. Much like hikers do. There is however some risk in doing so.

Anyway, I hope that gives you some idea which way to lean. If you are looking for a kayak to do another kind of kayaking I am afraid I can't help you. I am a sea kayaker at heart.

Good luck.