Wind Paddle

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

icarl

Wind Paddle

Post by icarl » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:27 pm

I just ordered the wind paddle and a backbone for the AF Expedition. Anyone have the wind paddle? Any tips on using it with the inflatable? thanks.
Last edited by icarl on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:13 pm

I have been considering ordering a windpaddle myself. Since you have an Expedition, as I do, I would be interested in your opinion on whether the smaller windpaddle or the larger is best. Please let us know how you like or dislike it.

As far as the backbone goes, you won't regret it. It takes a little more time to set up but it makes the kayak feel much more secure, or more like a hard shell. And the tracking is much better. You'll see when you slice through that first wave.

One recommendation I would have in regards to the backbone. Put some lines on the inside of the hull floor with permanent marker to show you the center line. Three short dashes is all it takes. This way when you put the back bone in you're always be centered. Not my idea. Someone else in this forum mentioned it. It works. Then all you need to worry about is the position from front to back. And on that note, inflate the main tubes fully and before you inflate the floor check the position of the backbone and adjust the backbone evenly from front to back. Last thing is the position of the floor on top of the backbone. Same thing, put a mark on the center line of the inflatable floor to center it over the backbone. And the floor is a bit longer than the backbone shaft. Just nestle the floor around the "spoons". You'll know what I mean when you try it. OK this is getting too long. Just trying to make your life easier. Have fun and let us know about the windpaddle.

icarl

Post by icarl » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:38 am

I received the windpaddle and backbone. The backbone looks to be good quality and it even has a foam padding around it, something i did not expect. It attaches together like a paddle or an old windsurfing boom. The windpaddle is larger than I expected even though I ordered the smaller size but it is not too big. The material for the sail is light. It is not made with the same heavier duty quality of material of say a windsurfing sail. It is actually lighter like a kite surfing sail. The sail is somewhat noisy kind of like Christmas wrapping paper. So it does not seem as tough but it is very light.

I would like to try them out and give you a review but the weather here is not so good! It seems that winter has come early here and we already have snow. :shock: But if the weather improves next week and I can fix my dry suit I may take it out for a test run before I put away my paddle for the season. :cry:

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:33 am

icarl,
I appreciate it. Can you please remind me what inflatable kayak you have? I'm interested to see if the windpaddle will be enough for the Expedition that I have. Let me know what you think if you can. Have a good one.