kayak

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:40 pm

That is one of those questions one is not always comfortable answering. However I have never heard of an alligator attempting to chow down on a regular hard shell kayak so there is no reason for one to do the same to an inflatable. Same applies to sharks. I have heard of sharks bumping but not biting.

Basically, alligators know what they like to eat and are not "programmed" to sample taste food because they can't let go once they have hold of something. So, with that in mind you should not have any issues. If no one here has experience with it then I would suggest you ask a ranger in the area what they think. If you do please add it to this blog. I would be interested what they would say.

MikeSue

Post by MikeSue » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Yea a tough question for sure. One thing you have in your favor is inflatables tend to be more stable so the chances of tipping into the water should be less.

brandoll

Post by brandoll » Thu May 06, 2010 7:51 am

Certainly kayaking has its risks but I feel that it depends on the person whether to take it as an adventure. Gator zones are certainly beyond my limits but I read that they are not that hostile as long as you don't intimidate them.

monamart

Post by monamart » Thu May 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Hello Gendoline

I use to canoe a lot on the canals near Markham park, state road 84 and I 75 now a days.. and we saw plenty of aligators along the way but they usually went into the water as we approached them and never saw them before.. but yes it is a good idea to let the rangers now were you are going to be and how long you expect to be there. just in case.. you might never know if you encounter a radioactive feed gator.. like the one in the movie who ate an helicopter... LOL

Mario

MDO

No probs

Post by MDO » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:24 am

We did a fair bit of kayaking in Florida, and including in the Everglades over the Christmas break. There was not a single issue. It was awesome. (We have also kayaked in the Lower St.Lawrence - porpoises and whales! COOL!)

paulrb02

Gator

Post by paulrb02 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:05 am

Most Gators in my experience will just leave you alone, usually if you get too close they go underwater and leave you alone. I wouldn't try and provoke one, but they keep to themselves. Really just don't go near a mother alligators nest, then all bets are off. But in a kayak you are about as big as they are so they won't sample ya.