has anyone rigged a sail on one of these???

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Eric60

has anyone rigged a sail on one of these???

Post by Eric60 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:45 am

I was wondering if anyone has rigged a sail on one of these?? It is light and the oars could be used for stability......just wondering.......I have some ideas on how it might be done.........

feldmarshal1

Sail

Post by feldmarshal1 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:02 am

I've an idea for a sail. the problem is mounting on a cloth and tube body. is it strong enough to withstand the weight/pressure generated by the wind.
Will let you know.

Feldmarshal1

PJohanson

Umbrella instead of sail

Post by PJohanson » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:36 pm

Friends have had fun using a large golf umbrella with their hardshell kayaks. I'm getting an Umbrella to try with my Dragonfly and will post the results.

feldmarshal1

Sail idea

Post by feldmarshal1 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:07 pm

I've been working on the sail idea and realized one thing - don't use PVC piping for any of it. Yes it is strong but when it breaks - it shatters into sharp pieces that could puncture the hull. Just not a good Idea.
Fiberglass, solid camping tent poles with metal connectors are better all around for any shape sail and deck rigging, they're stronger and if they break you'll probably really bad off and won't be telling anyone that they did.

PALINDROME

KITES

Post by PALINDROME » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:04 pm

I’ve give some thought to sails on kayaks as well. If you want to do any cross wind work, or even up wind, you stand a good chance of turning over. So I’ve been thinking of kites like the kite boarders use. Normal sized kites are probably way over powered, but they do make a training kite that is about half sized. Might be worth a try.

stampeder

Post by stampeder » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:17 pm

there are several purpose made sails - mostly lateen type sails- and rigs for kayaks and similar small boats.
West Marine carries a sail and rig made for their Walker Bay line of boats, that would work with AE kayaks.

icarl

Re: KITES

Post by icarl » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:19 pm

PALINDROME wrote:I’ve give some thought to sails on kayaks as well. If you want to do any cross wind work, or even up wind, you stand a good chance of turning over. So I’ve been thinking of kites like the kite boarders use. Normal sized kites are probably way over powered, but they do make a training kite that is about half sized. Might be worth a try.
Sorry to bring up an old thread. But, did you try this?

I thought of this too but I don't think it would work very well on a kayak. I've tried one of those trainer kites and they are powerful and dangerous. The problem is they would be too difficult and potentially dangerous to handle on our kayaks. Our kayaks have no real skeg or center board that would give it enough stability to allow proper sailing. There would also be a high roll over risk. You could go straight downwind but it would not be worth it. Whenever you did not want to use the sail you would have to fold it up in the water. Launching a kite in the water is an art as well. If you are just looking for an easier way down the lake this is not it.

stampeder

Post by stampeder » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:11 pm

there are lots of sails available for kayaks.
Tipping over is no more of a concern while sailing than it is while paddling.
Klepper has been making sailing kayaks for 50 years, and their rigs will work just fine with AE Kayaks. Also, there is a lateen rig made by Zodiac that works well with a Kayak.
I have a 10' Zodiac and have sailed it with a variety of rigs, most of which would fit with an AE.
The comment about the kite seems entirely wrong to me. Can't see how lift would be a good thing in kayak sailing.

The only issue is a skeg or keel or device to keep a sailing kayak on track while sailing to windward. Sailing downwind, all you would need is a paddle in the water.

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:50 pm

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:00 pm

I tried the umbrella when out in my Dragonfly, but the umbrella just blew inside out and wagged around a bit. It wasn't effective as a sail.

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:11 pm

PJohanson wrote:I tried the umbrella when out in my Dragonfly, but the umbrella just blew inside out and wagged around a bit. It wasn't effective as a sail.
Hahaha! We'll have to start calling you Mary Poppins! :)
Daddy-O

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:03 pm

Since nobody seems to have mentioned it - Lets not forget the WindPaddle. Is the sail recommended by Advanced Elements. Supposedly Advanced Elements is developing their own, but that is a way off.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 am

Since this post came up again I guess we should update it. Advance Element's own sail should be at the dealers by the end of April. Check out the AE site under accessories for info.

davedomingo

Lateen rig

Post by davedomingo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:06 pm

I've been developing a lateen rig for my AF Convertible -- it works pretty well. I had my brother along (between us, we're about 380 pounds), and we got up to 3 mph across the wind.

I'll share the most important details/concepts, but these ain't exactly blueprints.

Here are the basic parts:
* A tripod-style mast base made of 1.25" PVC pipe. This straps to the foredeck with ratcheting tie-downs. (I don't inflate the foredeck.)
* A 6-foot mast made of 3/4" PVC pipe. The bottom 2/3 of it is reinforced with a wooden push broom handle.
* A lateen sail made from a cheap poly tarp -- seams created with 2-sided indoor/outdoor carpet tape. The spars are 3/4" PVC pipe with no reinforcement. The sail is roughly equilateral with 7-foot-long sides. This gives me sail area of about 21 sq. ft -- about half the area of a Sunfish sail.
* (Critical) Leeboards, approx 18" long, about 14" of which is below the waterline when the boat is level. These are mounted on the aft edge of the tripod/mast base.
* Stern-mounted PVC pipe 'oar locks' that I can drop my paddle into in order to use it as a rudder. These are at the ends of pipe 'arms' that are strapped to the aft deck. the 'oar locks' are spaced about 12" out from the edge of the deck.

I have vang cleats for the lines that raise and lower the leeboards. I also have a mini cam cleat for the sail sheet. Still working on the best way to attach these parts sturdily near my seat. (I don't have a spray deck.)

Interestingly, I tried making stabilizers from large-caliber pool noodles, but they proved unnecessary. Apparently I have enough ballast (even solo) to counter the force of this sail in pretty much any conditions -- and my sail can be dropped if the wind is too strong.

In short, it can be done -- and much cheaper than a rig from Sailboats to Go.

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:36 pm

Dave,
Thanks for that information. I am currently building a sailboat to enjoy in our bay, but would love to put a rig on my kayak. I looked at those from sailboatstogo, and just hate to put all of that money into one of their kits. Especially when I can sew my own sail from a polytarp like you mentioned. I'd love to see some pictures of your setup.
Daddy-O