has anyone rigged a sail on one of these???

Can't find what you're looking for regarding accessories? Post it here!

Moderator: JCOOLEY

davedomingo

Photos soon

Post by davedomingo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:13 pm

Daddy-O: I'm not very diligent about taking pics when my boat is set up, but I will try to remember next time. I'm pretty proud of this basic design -- lots of trial and error went into it.

davedomingo

Update

Post by davedomingo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:22 pm

I haven't posted about my rig in a long time. I'm still really happy with my mast assembly -- it's very strong and stable -- but all my other cheap homemade stuff (spars, helm, leeboards) has been too flexible, too heavy, or both, so I haven't been able to achieve enough speed. And I've tried a lot of things! I'm sure I've spent a couple of hundred bucks (over the past few years) on hardware and pipe.

I've pretty much decided to plunk down for the 6022 kit from Sailboats to Go and start sailing for real. I only agonize about it because the kit costs as much as my boat did. But (1) it's way easier to store and transport than a sailboat, (2) the speed that the designer gets out of that kit in the demo video is pretty impressive, and (3) I can bring my young son along without fear of a homebuilt kit snapping and injuring him (or capsizing us).

Thoughts?

sonar

Re: Update

Post by sonar » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:09 am

davedomingo wrote:I haven't posted about my rig in a long time. I'm still really happy with my mast assembly -- it's very strong and stable -- but all my other cheap homemade stuff (spars, helm, leeboards) has been too flexible, too heavy, or both, so I haven't been able to achieve enough speed. And I've tried a lot of things! I'm sure I've spent a couple of hundred bucks (over the past few years) on hardware and pipe.

I've pretty much decided to plunk down for the 6022 kit from Sailboats to Go and start sailing for real. I only agonize about it because the kit costs as much as my boat did. But (1) it's way easier to store and transport than a sailboat, (2) the speed that the designer gets out of that kit in the demo video is pretty impressive, and (3) I can bring my young son along without fear of a homebuilt kit snapping and injuring him (or capsizing us).

Thoughts?
My Thoughts are go for it.

Another way of using your craft for leisure.
I like to use my Kayak for more than paddling in.
And looking into the same sort of rig you now have or might have.
When your set up please post some pictures I for one are very interested in the idea.

davedomingo

Follow-up on Sailboats to Go kit

Post by davedomingo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:24 am

E-mail conversation with the owner of Sailboats to Go:

INQUIRY:

Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 8:11 PM
To: sales@sailboatstogo.com
Subject: 6022 kit

Hi! I’ve been interested in the 6022 kit for my AE AdvancedFrame Convertible for quite a while. Heavily considering getting one now. Can you answer a few questions that will help me with my decision?

1. Can you tell me the approximate top speed of this rig, carrying one person (approx. 200 pounds) and carrying two people (approx. 350 pounds), with the standard sail and with the larger sail?
2. Without stabilizers, is it necessary to hike out in strong wind or just lean hard from inside the cockpit? I’m trying to envision reaching the tiller on the downwind side while sitting on the upwind side – hope that is not required!
3. Can you confirm that the kit will not interfere with the single or tandem zip-on spray deck that is made for the Convertible?

Thanks very much!

RESPONSE:

Around 4 mph and a bit less with 2 aboard.

Stabilizers are necessary for that model.

Spray cover -- not sure. If you can still get to the seat anchors on top of the side air chambers, then not a problem. See instructions attached, page 5, top. If not, then sail kit 6004 or 6001 would be required.

[Attachment was the setup instructions]