The Finger Lakes

Stories of (interesting, funny, bad, sad, happy, etc.) things that have happened while paddling. Post your links to your blogs as well.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Joan

The Finger Lakes

Post by Joan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:28 pm

I decided I wanted to paddle all 11 of the Finger Lakes in NY. So far I have been on 5 of them...Conesus, Hemlock, Canadice, Honeoye, and Seneca.

I made a huge mistake though. I paddled Hemlock and Canadice. I should have left them for last. Both are reservoirs for the city of Rochester and they are completely undeveloped and incredibly beautiful. I am so spoiled now! The only boat traffic allowed are canoes, kayaks and, boats less than 16' with motors 10 hp or less. Last evening I was out on Hemlock and it was heavenly. Talk about quiet! The water was like glass and I just sat for about 20 minutes out in the middle of the lake. There were other boaters out but all were fishing along the shady side.

Here are a few photos...

How am I ever going to be able to kayak anywhere else? =)

sonar

Post by sonar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:35 pm

It looks very silent peacefull and scenic there.

Makes one think does it not.

Nice pictures We have nothing anywhere like that in the area we live in.

Joan

Post by Joan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:06 pm

It's amazing really.

As I was launching a young guy with a beat up motorboat was heading out to fish. He was saying that he didn't have lights on his boat so had to come in before it got dark but if he could, he'd stay out until morning. At the time I thought that was kind of funny and thought yeah, okay...until I got out there. I easily could have stayed there all night just sitting. No sounds of traffic, no houses in sight, and incredibly beautiful.

You need to find something like it where you are. It would be worth the hunt. OR you could come across the pond! =) They say the Adirondacks have all kinds of places as nice.

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:04 pm

Just love that black & white photo , paddle and droplet , says it all really.

Joan

Post by Joan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks, Timbo. So kind of you to say. I took both of those photos with my phone's camera. I didn't even know I was taking black and whites. Apparently I pushed something!