The beginning

Stories of (interesting, funny, bad, sad, happy, etc.) things that have happened while paddling. Post your links to your blogs as well.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

NewYakkerinNY

The beginning

Post by NewYakkerinNY » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:52 am

OK -- well here's the beginning my my story:

There's this big brown truck traveling around southwest Long Island. In it contains 2 boxes that represent the beginning of my kayaking odyssey. The 13' Expedition from Holly and Chuck at AIRKAYAKS.COM is what I went with. I am hoping for some nice weather this weekend (rain so far today AND tomorrow) so that I can unpack it to see that it is all there.

The kayaking will start soon enough. I might wait until my family trip to the Pocono Mts in Pennsylvania to lake test it.. but not sure if I can wait that long (first week of August). If not, Great South Bay here I come!

I will endeavour to use this thread as a continual blog. Comments are always appreciated....

KayakJack

Re: The beginning

Post by KayakJack » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:21 pm

Hey, I too have a AE Expedition as well as an AE 10.5

I'm in Queens, where are you planning to paddle?
NewYakkerinNY wrote:OK -- well here's the beginning my my story:

There's this big brown truck traveling around southwest Long Island. In it contains 2 boxes that represent the beginning of my kayaking odyssey. The 13' Expedition from Holly and Chuck at AIRKAYAKS.COM is what I went with. I am hoping for some nice weather this weekend (rain so far today AND tomorrow) so that I can unpack it to see that it is all there.

The kayaking will start soon enough. I might wait until my family trip to the Pocono Mts in Pennsylvania to lake test it.. but not sure if I can wait that long (first week of August). If not, Great South Bay here I come!

I will endeavour to use this thread as a continual blog. Comments are always appreciated....

NewYakkerinNY

Post by NewYakkerinNY » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:44 pm

Boxes came :D .... and so did the rain :(

So in the boxes they sit... waaa!

Jack... I am right in Lynbrook. I don't have any specific place in mind. Can I tag along with you one day?

KayakJack

absolutely.

Post by KayakJack » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:39 am

congrats on the delivery and welcome to the club! :)

I am in Bayside, not too far from the Nassau County border. I usually paddle by Little Neck Bay, Tapanzee Bridge, and Point Lookout/Jones Beach area.

Feel free to tag along! :) My email: nyxjack@aol.com

Cheers.
NewYakkerinNY wrote:Boxes came :D .... and so did the rain :(

So in the boxes they sit... waaa!

Jack... I am right in Lynbrook. I don't have any specific place in mind. Can I tag along with you one day?

NewYakkerinNY

Post by NewYakkerinNY » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:08 pm

Here's what I got...

... I just can't wait!

KayakJack .. we will DEFINITELY hook up soon.

KayakJack

awesome!!

Post by KayakJack » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:09 pm

awesome! i see that you got a backbone with your setup, excellent choice.

you'll definitely want to practice setting up the kayak w/ backbone a few times inside - it'll help speed up your setup time outside.
NewYakkerinNY wrote:Here's what I got...

... I just can't wait!

KayakJack .. we will DEFINITELY hook up soon.

NewYakkerinNY

Re: awesome!!

Post by NewYakkerinNY » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:22 pm

KayakJack wrote:awesome! i see that you got a backbone with your setup, excellent choice.

you'll definitely want to practice setting up the kayak w/ backbone a few times inside - it'll help speed up your setup time outside.
I plan on set up and break down a couple of times (hopefully this week).

Yes -- the backbone.. from all that I read it is almost a necessity. Especially for the kayaking I plan on doing... not crazy but you never know what you'll get in the L I Sound and associated waters, right?

Just a little about how I want to evetually outfit the vessel... Pearly built a great functional rod holder, which I plan on eventually building. I would also like to add a stern light as well as purchasing a headlamp for those evening cruises that I am looking forward to. Pearly also built a fish finder stand.... I am thinking it might work well for a GPS.

Any suggestions?

NewYakkerinNY

Post by NewYakkerinNY » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:11 am

Wow -- this is CRAZY.

I am waiting to even just take out the kayak and see how to put it together. But the rain has been out of control.

... I am getting frustrated!

NewYakkerinNY

Post by NewYakkerinNY » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:53 am

Good morning all.

Right off the bat -- let me apologize for no pictures of the maiden voyages of my expedition. There may be one or two taken by my sister in law but I doubt it (not sure if she even likes me).

Last week I was on vacation at a lake in Pennsylania. First thing after getting to the house and unloading the suitcases and such was to set up the kayak. I also have a 10' Airhead sit on top inflatable so my first hour and a half at the lake was used to set up . I did not install the backbone. After it was all set up, I took it out on the water. I did not inflate it quite enough so it seems. Found quite a bit of drag.. so I went back in and inflated it further. It sat better but not great but no drag.

For the first couple of days I left it like that. I then decided to install the backbone. WOW.. what a difference, It was now a kayak. Much better tracking, no drag, sat high on the water. Being a 'larger' individual I definitely need to use it.

For the rest of the trip, the lake was now mine. I had no problem going wherever I wanted .. even fishing out of it and catching a few spritely Small Mouth Bass. The clasp at the front of the comb worked nicely as a rod holder as I trolled the lake.

I left the kayak inflated the entire week. There were no leaks to speak of, but I would have re-inflate every so often the combing or the deck risers. And I had an issue with the floor once, but it must have been user error because the rest of the week was fine.

I am really happy with this kayak. I need to make some time to get out locally. There is a large lake near me I can use, plus the bay not too far.

The only thing I had issue with was break down. I missed the fact that there was an inside valve that makes deflation easier. next time next time.... pictures next time as well.

jamesbabooli

Post by jamesbabooli » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:57 pm

very good and interesting story told by u
8)