Sooke River paddling

Trips that you have taken, planned, are planning etc. and suggested paddle locations.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

PJohanson

Sooke River paddling

Post by PJohanson » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:14 pm

My partner and I took his hardshell Pamlico 100 and my Dragonfly to Sooke River, near Victoria BC. The pictures of him I took were blurry, but he got some great shots of me in these shallow rapids.
You can see his six photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/77699516@N ... 878770140/ with a map and some details. Click on the option to see all six photos as a slideshow! He wrote that I was using a Firefly, but it's a Dragonfly model.

You may notice that I wasn't wearing a helmet. Normally, a helmet is a good safety choice for whitewater river kayaking! However, in my defense, the rapids were less than knee-deep, the water was moving slowly and so was I. This was class I water, very safe paddling and just enough current and rocks to be fun.
You can also see my PFD is an Orbit from Kokatat, an unusual design that gives free movement of the arms. It's good for wearing over paddle jackets and wet suits and so on.