Four day expedition down the Goulburn River in Australia

Trips that you have taken, planned, are planning etc. and suggested paddle locations.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Tim

Four day expedition down the Goulburn River in Australia

Post by Tim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:58 pm

Hello packboaters!

Greetings from Australia! My name is Tim, and I own a Packlite kayak. I want to tell you about a four day 105 km (65 mile) solo expedition that I made last week in the Packlite kayak down the beautiful Goulburn River, which is in the south eastern part of Australia, about 70 km north of Melbourne. I had already taken the kayak out on a few short day trips during the months that I have owned it, but this was the first time that I had taken it out on a multi-day trip.

I travelled from Melbourne by bus to a town on the river called Alexandra, paddled downstream for the next four days, then boarded a train back to Melbourne from a town called Seymour, which also lies on the Goulburn River, 105 km downstream of Alexandra. This section of the Goulburn River is beautiful, and in most parts has a flow speed of about 4 kph (2.5 mph), which enabled me to be lazy and float down the river whenever I wanted a break from the paddling. There were a few sections of mild rapids, but generally the route was all fairly smooth. The scenery and wildlife along the journey was so beautiful as to see me often bobbing along without paddling, instead fumbling for my camera. The surrounding countryside is sparsely populated and is largely used for grazing of livestock. Unfortunately this has brought crack willow trees to the river banks, which were originally planted there to prevent erosion, but unfortunately these have rapidly reproduced and infested vast stretches of the river banks. The beautiful native river red gum trees still prevail in most areas, and a significant amount of native wildlife remains and continues to flourish. I saw some 12 platypuses during my journey, as well as native turtles and many different types of native birds, including sulphur-crested cockatoos, corellas, rosellas, lorikeets and wedge-tailed eagles. Each of these animals is spectacular in its own right, so collectively they helped to make the trip very enjoyable. I camped out on the river banks for the three nights that I was on the expedition, and had a tent, stove and food and all the other essentials on board with me to enable me to do this.

Overall I had a terrific trip, but of greatest interest to you guys, I found the Packlite kayak to be excellent. It performed well without giving me any problems, particularly with respect to punctures or structural failures. Its behaviour on the water was great, whilst its portability enabled me to carry it and all my other camping equipment without any trouble. I am quite tall (1.90 m - 6’ 3â€￾), and I weigh 80 kg (180 lb), and I was also carrying camping equipment with a weight of about 10 kg (22 lb). I had most of this camping equipment in a backpack that was lashed to the tie-down points at the bow of the kayak, but I also had a smaller dry bag lashed to the stern. In the cockpit I had another dry bag for keeping certain items close at hand, such as my camera, map, snacks, sunscreen etc. With about 18 lb of weight tied to the bow, I reckon the kayak actually tracked better than it did on previous outings where there was no luggage on board, but it was still very manoeuvrable whenever I needed to make a rapid turn. I also found that I was able to get my feet in underneath my backpack, so the luggage didn’t have any appreciable negative impact on my comfort, nor did it intrude into my paddle stroke space.

I have some photos that I took during the trip, but it seems that I am unable to upload any to this forum. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction on how to do this, if it is possible.

I hope that you have enjoyed hearing about my expedition in the Packlite. I welcome any questions that you might have about it.

Happy paddling!
Tim.

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:28 pm

I have just worked out how to add images. Please ignore my previous requests for help with this!

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:41 pm

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:50 pm

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:51 pm

Awesome! What a fantastic trip and great photos. Thank you for sharing your amazing adventure.

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:19 pm

Thanks Mate, not only for your kind words, but for showing some appreciation for my efforts. Thanks also for allowing me to be a contributor to your forum! Tim.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:34 am

Wow, what a trip!
Looks like you have sensible gear. Rigged like that, the front is a bit top-heavy, but where else could the gear go -- under your knees? Naw, it looks like you packed it right for this boat on this river.
Nice to have everything you needed AND a boat so portable. Lucky you!

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:26 pm

I agree that the portability of the boat is very impressive. Thanks Advanced Elements for designing and manufacturing such a lightweight yet durable and capable kayak! For what it is and what it costs, it is very impressive. I had been looking around for a compact lightweight kayak for some time, and then this one was introduced and it was an obvious winner for me. Indeed I do feel fortunate to be able to purchase such an excellent kayak!

With respect to your comment that the boat is a bit top-heavy with 8 kg of gear rigged on the deck, bear in mind that there was 80 kg in the cockpit, so the centre of gravity was not a problem. I certainly had no trouble in this respect during the four days of paddling, and in fact, found the accessibility of the gear to be superior, compared to previous trips I had made in a different kayak in which i had stuffed everything below the deck. This made it easier to pack and unpack my stuff from the boat each time I stopped to set up camp. I should note that I was pretty liberal with my usage of dry bags, with everything in my rucksack being stuffed into dry bags, as well as the other items in the boat.

Happy days.

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:36 am

Hey Tim, thanks for sharing your story. Looks pretty awesome! I wanted to know if you would be interested in posting your story and some of the pictures to our "Share Your Adventure" blog: http://share.advancedelements.com/

Check out the link to see what you think. If you want to post, just select submit on the main page. You would only be able to add one picture on the submit page, but if you wanted to add more, you can send them to photo@advancedelements.com and we'll post them with the story.

Thanks and Happy Paddling!

Shanie

Post by Shanie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:53 pm

Awesome! I hope you enjoyed your journey.!