Schodack Creek/Hudson River, NY

Trips that you have taken, planned, are planning etc. and suggested paddle locations.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

sedimentary

Schodack Creek/Hudson River, NY

Post by sedimentary » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:53 am

Awesome Friday paddle with a friend in my AE Convertible. He was quite impressed and any reservations of seaworthiness vanished before we even hit the water. We did not quite time it properly as we went against the tide both coming and going. A little extra energy expenditure but no worse off.

Warm day, somewhat scuzzy water up north, but cleared as we traveled south. White tail deer, Great Blue Herons all over the joint, 2 immature Bald Eagles, swallows, huge fish making waves as big as the boat (sturgeon??), egrets, cormorants (sp?) and one big assed snapping turtle with a head as big as your fist!! Tranquil area with no others in sight and nice to just enjoy nature at it's best!!! Next time, fishing rods and no place to be the following day!!!

PS -- Over the course of the approximate ten mile paddle we had taken on water, and we both sat in a puddle :? . Could we have taken on nearly a gallon of water just from paddle run-off, or is it possible there is a hole in the covering??? How would you check for leaks in the outershell as you can't inflate it to find pinholes?

PJohanson

puddle

Post by PJohanson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:30 am

The puddle you sat in could be due to water running off your feet, plus some paddle drips, plus sweat.
Tip to avoid bringing in water on your feet: if you can stand with one foot on either side of the kayak, lower your butt in first. Raise your feet in the air to let the water run off, and wipe 'em with an old towel. (I'm too short to do this, so I wipe one foot, get one leg and butt into the kayak, then wipe the other foot.)

sedimentary

Post by sedimentary » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:58 pm

Our feet were completely dry as we had climbed in from a dock. As far as sweat goes, if we lost that much so as to pool in the kayak-- we would be dead :shock: . No, this came as we paddled, and it seemed rather quickly.
I don't think we had that much off the paddles, but it is possible I guess.

How would you check for leaks in the cover/shell though?

KayakJack

hmm...

Post by KayakJack » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:06 am

I would check for any obvious tears, holes, etc. on the bottom and between the seams.

I would also remove the insides (chair, inner tubes, etc.), hang the kayak folded out in the air - right sided up in the air with ropes/clips/etc. (sorta like a hammock), and proceed to fill the inside of the kayak with water and let the water form the shape of the kayak and look for the leak if there is one.

sedimentary wrote:Our feet were completely dry as we had climbed in from a dock. As far as sweat goes, if we lost that much so as to pool in the kayak-- we would be dead :shock: . No, this came as we paddled, and it seemed rather quickly.
I don't think we had that much off the paddles, but it is possible I guess.

How would you check for leaks in the cover/shell though?