First Experience Yosemite / Tenaya / Mono Lake - pics inside

Trips that you have taken, planned, are planning etc. and suggested paddle locations.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

photo-xpress

First Experience Yosemite / Tenaya / Mono Lake - pics inside

Post by photo-xpress » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:07 pm

Hi all: This is my first post here. We bought our Advance Frame Convertible in August and took it to Yosemite high country. This is our first kayak and we absolutely love it! I had doubts about inflatables but after we launched it for the very first time, we just fell in love with it immediately! The kayak is very stable and has great handling.

We camped in Tuolumne Meadows and did quite a lot of paddling in Tenaya Lake and Mono Lake during our 4-day stay. The kayak fits into the trunk of our 4 door sedan perfectly with our camping gear. We discovered a few hidden beaches along the shore of Tenaya Lake where we swam and sun-bathed. In Mono Lake, we kayaked along the tufa towers and did some bird watching. We originally planned to paddle to Paoha Island but we had to turn back due to strong wind. Kayaking in Mono Lake is quite different – the kayak floated better because of the extremely salty water and the water has nothing but brine shrimps. The entire ride was very very quite – all we could hear was occasional bird calling.

I happened to be a professional photographer and photography is always my passion and a part of my life. I am glad that I purchased the inflatable kayak for its stability and stability is great for photography. I feel a lot safer to change lens or use monopod when I am on the inflatable than the hard kayak. I brought my gear onto the kayak and took a few pictures. I hope you enjoy them!

By the way I am from the Bay Area – just want to see if there’s anyone wants go paddling sometimes!

Tenaya Lake

Launching the Kayak

Mono Lake

Tufa Tower

Green Mono Lake

15 footer

thx for reading and have a great day!

SF48

Post by SF48 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:02 am

Looks like it was an awesome paddle! Great pics...keep 'em coming! :D

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:37 am

Wow! Fantastic photos. Sounds like you had a very enjoyable time. If you feel up to it and haven't done it already, we have a group on Flickr for showing off photos. Maybe you wouldn't mind posting them there as well? http://www.flickr.com/groups/585246@N21/

Thanks and Happy Paddling!

Jeremy
8)

Racer48

Post by Racer48 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:38 pm

thats some great terrain, i might have to paddle that area in the near future, gotta focus on Tahoe first though, leaving tomorrow afternoon :D :D

waddle

Post by waddle » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:44 pm

Beautiful pics! Looks like a great place to paddle.

Green with envy -> :mrgreen:

KayakJack

Re: First Experience Yosemite / Tenaya / Mono Lake - pics in

Post by KayakJack » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:52 pm

Excellent shots! I especially like the feel of the first photo. Keep up the great shots!
photo-xpress wrote:Hi all: This is my first post here. We bought our Advance Frame Convertible in August and took it to Yosemite high country. This is our first kayak and we absolutely love it! I had doubts about inflatables but after we launched it for the very first time, we just fell in love with it immediately! The kayak is very stable and has great handling.

We camped in Tuolumne Meadows and did quite a lot of paddling in Tenaya Lake and Mono Lake during our 4-day stay. The kayak fits into the trunk of our 4 door sedan perfectly with our camping gear. We discovered a few hidden beaches along the shore of Tenaya Lake where we swam and sun-bathed. In Mono Lake, we kayaked along the tufa towers and did some bird watching. We originally planned to paddle to Paoha Island but we had to turn back due to strong wind. Kayaking in Mono Lake is quite different – the kayak floated better because of the extremely salty water and the water has nothing but brine shrimps. The entire ride was very very quite – all we could hear was occasional bird calling.

I happened to be a professional photographer and photography is always my passion and a part of my life. I am glad that I purchased the inflatable kayak for its stability and stability is great for photography. I feel a lot safer to change lens or use monopod when I am on the inflatable than the hard kayak. I brought my gear onto the kayak and took a few pictures. I hope you enjoy them!

By the way I am from the Bay Area – just want to see if there’s anyone wants go paddling sometimes!

Tenaya Lake

Launching the Kayak

Mono Lake

Tufa Tower

Green Mono Lake

15 footer

thx for reading and have a great day!

photo-xpress

Post by photo-xpress » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:53 am

Thank you guys for the comments and sorry for the late response on this thread. I just put my kayak away yesterday for the winter and it is amazing that the 15 ft kayak can fit into a small space in our garage. Thanks again for the comments on the pictures and I am looking forward to have more pictures in the spring~

regards.

photo-xpress

Post by photo-xpress » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:54 am

JCOOLEY wrote:Wow! Fantastic photos. Sounds like you had a very enjoyable time. If you feel up to it and haven't done it already, we have a group on Flickr for showing off photos. Maybe you wouldn't mind posting them there as well? http://www.flickr.com/groups/585246@N21/

Thanks and Happy Paddling!

Jeremy
8)
Hi Jeremy: I sent you a PM regarding the pictures. thx

An