Camping with the Fusion

Trips that you have taken, planned, are planning etc. and suggested paddle locations.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

micahgee

Camping with the Fusion

Post by micahgee » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:32 pm

I am planning of taking the Fusion on an overnight trip to get a sense of what to bring and how to pack etc. to see if multiple day trips are feasible with the limited storage space.

I have my gear down to:

Gear to be stored inside

Rear zippered storage - MSR Wisper lite (fist sized) with bottle
Rear zippered storage - "Optimus Terra Solo 0.6L Pot" filled with filled
Behind seat - 5 liter dry bag with food, extra water, valuables, smokes etc.
Behind seat - Bivvy sack (instead of tent/sleeping bag)
In between legs - Platypus 6 liter water "bag"
In between legs - Thermarest (Z-rest or inflatable, still undecided)

On the rear deck I will put:

folded up foot pump
bilge pump
10 liter dry bag with extra clothes
Last edited by micahgee on Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robbyw

Post by robbyw » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Nothing in the front zip cpt or front deck? How heavy are you? Look forward to hearing how you manage and how stable it is. I have an AF and find it tippy with nothing but my 226 lb body. Curious to see if adding "ballast" makes it more stable...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I am planning of taking the Fusion on an overnight trip to get a sense of what to bring and how to pack etc. to see if multiple day trips are feasible with the limited storage space.

I have my gear down to:

Gear to be stored inside

Rear zippered storage - MSR Wisper lite (fist sized) with bottle
Behind seat - MSR 1.5 liter cooking vessel (filled with bagged food)
Behind seat - 5 liter dry bag with food, extra water, valuables, smokes etc.
Behind seat - Bivvy sack (instead of tent/sleeping bag)
In between legs - Platypus 6 liter water "bag"
In between legs - Thermarest (Z-rest or inflatable, still undecided)

On the rear deck I will put:

folded up foot pump
bilge pump
10 liter dry bag with extra clothes
[/quote]

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:06 am

Sounds like good plans. I always like to bring a couple of granola bars or fruit bars for emergency food.
Remember to put the heavy, dense things like water low and in the centre. Anything on deck should be light.

micahgee

Post by micahgee » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:44 am

In terms of the front zipper, its too hard to fit anything (or be able to take out) in there because of the pole in the way.

The rear storage compartment has a surprising amount of space, provided your items have a diameter of around 4" or less. I can fit a wisperlite, fuel bottle, minicook set, even a and bunch of food in the back!

I'm hoping that all the water in the middle of the boat (between my legs on the floor) will keep everything balanced. I only plan on keeping the lightest items like a sleeping pad, above deck.

bertel84

Camping with air fusion

Post by bertel84 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:54 pm

I took mine out for a 3 day trip with no problems. I did run into class 2 rapids with the kayak fully loaded. I posted some pics on flickr on what the kayak looks fully loaded. this summer I am doing a 4 day trip around 100 miles We will see how that goes. You can also load the front and back of the kayak then inflate if you need the extra room. I never did this but thought of it.

sonar

Re: Camping with air fusion

Post by sonar » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:42 am

bertel84 wrote:I took mine out for a 3 day trip with no problems. I did run into class 2 rapids with the kayak fully loaded. I posted some pics on flickr on what the kayak looks fully loaded. this summer I am doing a 4 day trip around 100 miles We will see how that goes. You can also load the front and back of the kayak then inflate if you need the extra room. I never did this but thought of it.
Have a great time when you go hope everything goes smoothly and already i am looking forward to the possible Blogg..