DragonFly floor over inflated. What to do with it?

AE1020-Y(2007-Present), AE1001-R(2002-2006), AE1001-O(2007), AE1021-O(2008), AE1031-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

SJack

DragonFly floor over inflated. What to do with it?

Post by SJack » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:54 am

One of my DragonFlys has had it's floor overinflated (don't ask) so as it is, it's unsable. It's an old model from 2006, which has the floor attached to the main bladder. The main bladder is fine. I've had a few thoughts about what to do with it. I'm thinking about cutting out the floor (carefully) as it's a seperate chamber entirely, and replacing the floor with something else, but what?

I think i could get a piece of marine plywood cut to fit the old floor, adding a few inches to the lenght and width so that it fits under the main bladder when inflated, but i'm not sure how the rigid floor would sit. The current lagoon has a foam floor. Should I try some foam instead?

Has anyone had a burst, or overinflated floor on the Dragonfly and replaced it with something?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:14 pm

Cutting away the floor, if it is unrepairable, is the way to go. You have two options and I think the second would be the best.
1. AE has a couple of Dragonfly floors that are already cut away from old damaged tubes that could be put in your floors place. YOu can contact customer service for pricing.
2. Purchase the foam floor and inflatable seat to replace the inflatable floor and foam seat. This works the same way as the current setup but gives you more leg room because the only inflatable part is the seat.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:03 pm

The floor on my own Dragonfly (six years old this summer) has a pair of the tubes that, um, expanded together one hot afternoon. Boy howdy, don't ever leave the floor inflated in the sunshine!
But it is still usable with the fat mutant tube on one side of the floor. It doesn't need to be chock-full of air, just squidgy, and works fine. This isn't a Formula One racecar. It's a kayak that gets on the water once or twice a week year-round.
If the fat mutant tube expands to take in another tube one day, that would be unusable. I plan if that ever happens to follow JCooley's advice and buy the foam floor & inflatable seat.

SJack

Post by SJack » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:07 am

PJohanson wrote:The floor on my own Dragonfly (six years old this summer) has a pair of the tubes that, um, expanded together one hot afternoon.
Mine has 3 tubes that have expanded together. I think I'm going to cut out a hard floor for it. I'll post results here.