Skedaddle/Lagoon report

AE1020-Y(2007-Present), AE1001-R(2002-2006), AE1001-O(2007), AE1021-O(2008), AE1031-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

missfishhooks

Skedaddle/Lagoon report

Post by missfishhooks » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:10 am

Hello All!

I thought I would pop in and report on my adventures with my new West Marine Skedaddle, which I purchased on ebay. I've been out with it three times now, doing some urban kayaking on New Orleans' Bayou St. John. I couldn't be happier with my purchase!

Now that I've gotten the hang of the inflation procedure, it is less than 10 minutes from the car to the water. Packing up takes a little longer, since I do a preliminary wipe-down, before folding it up. I do a more thorough wipe down once I get home, and leave it unfolded in my living room for a few hours to dry out. I'm surprised how quickly it dries, even indoors.

As to performance, it has taken me a while to get the hang of paddling it. I'd only paddled a tandem hardshell before, which had a very different feel to it. As someone else has said, it will turn on a dime! My first time out, I feel like I wobbled all over the bayou. Now, using shorter strokes, and being sure to paddle close to the boat, it seems to track pretty well. I also added some weight to the bow end in the form of a gallon jug of water. My last time out, I tried two gallons, but don't think it improved significantly over using the single jug. Adding some weight to the bow end definitely seemed to help the tracking.

The model I have doesn't have an inflatable seat, like the current Lagoon does, so I added a boat cushion PFD. It more comfortable, adds a couple of inches of height, so I'm not sitting on the bottom of the boat, and also gives me a throwable PFD as a just-in-case.

Yesterday, I saw an alligator, about 3-4 feet long. He surfaced (thankfully) not too close to me, and dove back down. It was a bit startling!

I hope everyone else is enjoying their AE inflatable as much as I am.

Happy Paddling!

:D

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Glad you're having a good time. I just moved and took my West Marine Skedaddle (I think that's the model) on a little irrigation reservoir. I just paddled along, looking at the mountains and desert in the background and looking at the nearby birds (white pelicans and a couple of Bullock's Orioles). I hope you had as much fun as I did.

Pringles

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:13 pm

This model (and the new version called the Lagoon) are terrific. Small enough for easy carrying, and just big enough to be stable. Glad to hear about your trips, Pringles and Fishhooks! I love the heck out of my own boat.