Dragonfly tracking and backrest

AE1020-Y(2007-Present), AE1001-R(2002-2006), AE1001-O(2007), AE1021-O(2008), AE1031-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

ncahill

Dragonfly tracking and backrest

Post by ncahill » Wed May 12, 2010 3:34 pm

I've owned an Advancedframe and Dragonfly for about two years and was wondering a few things on imporoving the DF's performance.

Has anyone tried modding an AF backbone to fit a Dragonfly (single) or know of a couples ways to improve tracking? (I know of putting weight in front to keep the wedge in water).

Also, does anyone know of a way to make the backrest more comfy other than wedging things behind it?

Thanks!

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue May 18, 2010 9:21 am

You can put a broomstick on the inside of the hull to improvise a simple keel. Whittle the ends of the broomstick to a flat, dull spoon shape. Once the boat is inflated, the broomstick pretty much stays in place.
Put a gallon milk jug full of water (or similar object like a smooth rock) inside the bow and the front edge will stay down more.
The boat will wag if you have a long, strong stroke. Use a short stroke and don't put a lot of muscle into the stroke. If you want to go faster, increase your cadence. This is NOT a speedboat or a surfski, it's a stable, relaxed recreational boat.
I just had mine out for three hours in Ladysmith Harbour, doing a leisurely figure eight around two little islands. Meanwhile, a friend in a Current Designs Kestrel (13 feet of rotomolded hard plastic) did the same figure eight in under two hours. We each had fun. You can read about the day at kayakyak.blogspot.com and see some photos of Advanced Elements kayaks!

onelungdesigns

Lagoon Tracking

Post by onelungdesigns » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:15 pm

Hello
I have designed a tracking blade for the front that works really well. It is made of .o65 aluminum and attatches with 2 Stainless screws and nuts. Easy to put on and take off.
If you would like to know more please send me an email...