It's so close!

AE1020-Y(2007-Present), AE1001-R(2002-2006), AE1001-O(2007), AE1021-O(2008), AE1031-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

jvnig026

It's so close!

Post by jvnig026 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:04 pm

My Lagoon 1 just arrived at the FedEx location near my house! I wish I could go there and pick it up right now (10:00 PM). I'm going to have one hell of a time trying to fall asleep tonight. I hope they deliver it early in the morning. It's expected to be beautiful out tomorrow and I would love to have it on the water.

I'll keep you guys updated on its maiden voyage. There doesn't seem to be a wealth of information out there about the performance of this particular model since most people spring for the Advanced Frame. In fact, the majority of the information I could find about the real world performance of this kayak came from PJohanson and Kayak Yak. I would like to help alleviate that problem even if I'm not the most experienced of paddlers. I'll be able to compare it to an Advanced Frame Convertible for anybody that's interested.

lee johnson

Post by lee johnson » Tue May 25, 2010 10:56 pm

Dear Sleepless in New Jersey,

The Lagoon "waggles" but does so symmetrically; so, although its tracking is not so simply straight as that of the Advanced Frame line, you can be confident in its ability to go where you want it to go. As compensation, it is instantly responsive and will do whatever you want it to do. It is the most maneuverable of AE's kayaks and, as PJohanson has put it, "turns on a dime and gives you nine cents' change." For birdwatching, it is therefore perfect, allowing you, with a mere flick of a paddle, to follow a bird in flight crossing in front of you, even while you may be holding binoculars in your other hand. It is small enough that you will find you can "sneak" up on various birds and animals - and get a good photo - which is all the more likely because of the Lagoon's excellent stability. It is lightweight yet rugged and is therefore my usual "traveling" kayak, especially if I am going into rather inaccessible areas and do not wish to carry heavy items. It does not have the hull speed of the Advanced Frame 10.5, the Expedition, or the Convertible - and the AirFusion, the speediest of AE's kayaks, would run circles around it. But, if you let it do what it is designed to do, it may very well win you over as a special favourite. I know a serious fellow who has a long, narrow, and fast Nigel Foster hard-shell but can no longer lift it or transport it by himself (or even get into its tiny cockpit, now that middle age has afflicted his waistline). He saw my Lagoon and, given its low price, thought what the heck and ordered one, calling it a potentially nice little "flower sniffer." We took it out on its first voyage on a lake in the Oregon Cascades. A couple of months later, his enthusiasm about how he loved that little kayak continued to grow; he raved about how he was taking it out almost every day of the week, even for short sessions on a local river. In other words, the Lagoon can pass muster with even the most knowledgeable, research-intensive, experienced paddlers - but let the Lagoon show you its particular strengths, which will be very different from those of a racing Nigel Foster hard-shell. Mainly, you will be able to use the Lagoon easily, with the slightest of excuses to hit the water - and that is itself a great recommendation. If you already own the Convertible, you will especially appreciate the usefulness of having more than one kayak: each has its particular application, as my Oregonian friend above would agree. You have every reason to be sleepless on the eve of your first voyage in your new Lagoon. May it provide you with years of enjoyment.

jvnig026

Post by jvnig026 » Wed May 26, 2010 7:30 am

Hahaha, Sleepless in New Jersey, nice.

Wow, lee, that was wonderfully written and descriptive. The way you described the Lagoon as a companion to the Convertible leads me to believe that I already love it - and I haven't even used it yet! If you aren't already, you should go into marketing! Seriously, though, that is exactly what I was looking for when I bought this kayak. After your words, I feel I can rest assured knowing that I made the right decision. I can't thank you enough for starting this perfect paddling day off right for me with that great post.

T-minus ~1 hour until the maiden voyage.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Yeah, the Lagoon inspires us all to write glowing praise. Stable, light, and enjoyable... I find it the perfect partner to my rotomolded plastic sea kayak. Where I don't want one, I want the other. And of the two, the one I take out twice as often is the Lagoon.
My friend Alison just bought a Lagoon because I recommended it, and told her if she didn't want to keep it after a while I'd buy it from her. Then I'd hand down my own four-year-old one to another friend. But that plan won't come to pass -- it seems Alison likes her Lagoon!