Lagoon vs. Advancedframe, tandem vs. single..new to kayaking

AE1003-R(2002-2006), AE1003-O(2007), AE1023-O(2008), AE1033-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

i3eezenotch

Lagoon vs. Advancedframe, tandem vs. single..new to kayaking

Post by i3eezenotch » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:18 pm

Hey guys, I just recently learned about the existence of quality inflatable kayaks and am considering picking one up. I saw the advancedframe single kayak at a store and liked it, but I am considering getting a tandem so I can have someone come with me when I go. I had a few questions.

1) if I got the tandem and decided to go alone, is it a lot less versatile/fun to paddle than a single kayak>

2) What are the primary differences between the advancedframe models and the lagoon series? I am a student and don't have much money to spend, but I would love to get one of these. That said, it seems that the advanced frame versions are a bit more narrow and I suppose more versatile as a result of this. I also like the fact that you can move the seat in the advanced fram tandem to center it if you go alone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thansk!
Mark

sonar

Post by sonar » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:43 pm

Hi I3eezenotch

Welcome to the foum.

I do not know a lot about the model your talking about as I have the AF 10.5 but many others will be able to answer your questions.

Again welcome

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:49 pm

MArk,

When paddling the AE1007 Convertible solo, you will not loose any performance. Because it is longer you will actually gain better tracking. Granted you will be paddling a heavier kayak, it still performs really well.

Compared to the Lagoon series, the Advanced Frames are longer and have our patented Aluminum Ribs in the bow and stern to give it a sharper edge which allows for better tracking and performance. The Lagoons have hard plastic forms which help with performance and the overall design makes them great performers but not as good as the Advanced Frames. The Lagoons are two inches wider which is not much ast all.

Alot of people may start out with the Lagoon and either add the backbone to it to enhance it at a later point or they may sell it later to move up to the Advanced Frame. Either way, the Lagoons are great and so are the Advanced Frames.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:02 pm

I like both the Lagoon style and the AdvancedFrame style! I have an older version of the Lagoon, and an Expedition.
One factor that will help you decide is weight. Does it matter to you how heavy the boat is? If you must have a very light, portable boat, go with the Lagoon. It will be well suited to slow, relaxed paddling on sheltered water. An experienced paddler can try it in Class 1 rapids, or surf kayaking. My boat has been paddled by people ranging in size from children to men 5'10", but my friends who are 6'3" and 6'4" felt it was not really big enough.
If you are strong and don't mind lifting a heavier boat, go with the Convertible. Many big men prefer this model, or the Expedition.
I like my Expedition as it is big enough without being too heavy for me to lift into a car trunk or strap to a luggage roller & take on the bus.
There are several posts on the forum about each model of kayak, so do some reading to see what advice we users have for you.

JimD

Post by JimD » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:10 pm

I have a convertible, and when I've gone solo I've only used the centre seat position, but having seen Michel's video at http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=1252, the next time I go out I'm going to try the tandem configuration, but paddling from the rear seat. I might have to make sure I have some stuff packed in the front, and it might be more susceptible to cross and head-winds, but it certainly seemed to move well on smooth water.

I have to confirm PJohanson's point though. The packed convertible is bigger than I expected, and I'm still trying to sort out a way of packing the kayak and ancillaries in a way that will let me use the local buses easily.