Firefly 2 / Lagoon 2 setup questions - new owner

AE1003-R(2002-2006), AE1003-O(2007), AE1023-O(2008), AE1033-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Draco_M

Firefly 2 / Lagoon 2 setup questions - new owner

Post by Draco_M » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Hello!
Brand new AE owner here! I just purchased a Firefly 2 from REI. I believe this unit is very similar to a Lagoon 2 except the cockpit is open.
A couple questions.
1. When filling the two main compartments, directions state you fill #1 to about half and then fill #2 to capacity (2psi.) Do you then go back and fill #1? Directions don’t say to. And the whole boat feels really firm. I’m guessing the two main chambers push against each other and that is why you only fill #1 to half capacity?
2. Toward the stern, there are two canvas straps –one on each side. Each strap ends in a Velcro loop. What is this for? Directions don’t say.
Overall this seems like a sturdy boat. Skeg looks awfully small but maybe that is adequate.
Thanks!

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:13 pm

You don't need to go back and put more pressure in the first chamber. Just bring the second chamber up to pressure and it's done. Those two straps you are talking about could possibly be paddle holders. My son has a Firefly2/Lagoon 2 and he does have paddle holders on his kayak. The skeg works fine when the kayak is inflated properly.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:35 am

1. You are correct. The two chambers push against each other therefore there is no reason to go back to #1 unless you are just topping off.
2. They are paddle holders

Draco_M

Post by Draco_M » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:43 am

Thank you! Looking forward to our first paddle tomorrow!

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:27 am

One thing I would suggest, regarding the skeg, is , when you finish setting up the kayak, turn it upside down and make sure the skeg is pointing straight downward. You may have to push it sideways a bit, and hold it there until it stays where you want it. If the weather is cooler, this will be more difficult to accomplish. The way that the Firefly2/Lagoon2 folds up, it presses the skeg flat, against the bottom of the kayak, which is exactly the opposite position you want it in. With my AdvancedFrame, it's not as much of a problem, because the skeg is not pushed flat against the bottom of the kayak when it folds up, but it can still get bent out of shape.

Draco_M

Post by Draco_M » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:22 am

NaturalPath wrote:One thing I would suggest, regarding the skeg, is , when you finish setting up the kayak, turn it upside down and make sure the skeg is pointing straight downward. You may have to push it sideways a bit, and hold it there until it stays where you want it. If the weather is cooler, this will be more difficult to accomplish. The way that the Firefly2/Lagoon2 folds up, it presses the skeg flat, against the bottom of the kayak, which is exactly the opposite position you want it in. With my AdvancedFrame, it's not as much of a problem, because the skeg is not pushed flat against the bottom of the kayak when it folds up, but it can still get bent out of shape.
Thank you! I noticed our kayak didn't track exactly straight the first time. So maybe this will help.