Scamper2 drying

AE1003-R(2002-2006), AE1003-O(2007), AE1023-O(2008), AE1033-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Trek2

Scamper2 drying

Post by Trek2 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:04 pm

New owner here. We have had our Scamper2 out for a few paddles now. Lee suggested a Backbone to help rigidity, and that has really improved the boat.

But it sure takes a long time to dry. I've read some posts about hanging it in the garage, but we like to bring this kayak in our RV, and the issue then becomes how to dry it so that it can folded back into the bag. Even with using a towel it takes a couple of hours.

Suggestions? Do folks take the tubes out of the skin (is this even possible)?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:17 am

The kayak comes completely apart. You can unscrew the locking nuts that are on the valves. They can be unscrewed by hand. This will allow you to remove the guts of the boat. You can then unzip the grey tube cover and remove the tube from inside of that. You can then lay out all three pieces to dry. Outer cover, tube cover and tube. This will help it dry faster. If it is sunny and warm, should only take an hour. You can then put it all back together and fold it up so it is ready to go for the next time around.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:51 am

For drying, I put my boat in the sunshine but I don't inflate the boat 100%, just about 75% so the air can expand without damaging the boat. A small towel or facecloth can be pushed around between the inflation chambers and the outer hull to blot up as much water as possible. The outside dries pretty fast, under half an hour. Indoors or in a garage is slower and better than lots of time unsupervised in the sunshine. A fan blowing across or into the boat will help the inside evaporate dry.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:14 pm

Another idea is to fold up the wet or damp boat, take it home, then unfold it to let it dry at home.
Indoors, the air is usually drier than outdoors. Perhaps you can lay the boat on a floor somewhere.
When it's cold and rainy outdoors, I bring my damp boat inside and lean it on its side against a wall. The warm, dry air lets the damp kayak evaporate dry. Moisture inside the kayak runs down to the gunwhale seam and wicks out or is easier to blot out with a terrytowel facecloth.

Trek2

Post by Trek2 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:18 pm

Thanks for the ideas. It's a fun boat, but in our case we want something that lends itself to spontaneous usage while RVing. The fact that this is so slow to dry kind of restricts it to places where we are camped for a few days. OTOH, being foldable allows us to bring a boat; there's no way we could bring a hardshell. And I imagine Folbots etc dry just as slowly.