Are we too heavy for the Dragonfly2?

AE1003-R(2002-2006), AE1003-O(2007), AE1023-O(2008), AE1033-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

shady

Are we too heavy for the Dragonfly2?

Post by shady » Thu May 08, 2008 4:45 pm

My wife and I are trying to decide between the Dragonfly2 and the AF Convertible.

I am about 185 lbs and my wife around 160 lbs. That puts us very close to the maximum weight of the Dragonfly2 (stated at 350 lbs)

Would the Dragonfly2 be a bad idea?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon May 12, 2008 9:05 am

It really depends on what kind of paddling you plan on doing. If you are just going out on lakes, resevoirs etc. for a couple of hours then it will be perfectly fine. 350 lbs. is pretty generous. It can really hold quite a bit more. Your combined weight should be fine. My wife and myself are fairly close to that and do not have any issues. Of course, the more weight you put in the kayak, it will get a bit more sluggish. If you are planning on getting the Dragonfly2 XC which is the 2008 model, you also have the option of putting a "Backbone" in it to stiffen it up a bit more and improve the overall tracking and performance. If you are looking for better all around performance and something with quite a bit of room for both of you, then I would go with the Convertible.

Jeremy
8)

shady

Post by shady » Tue May 13, 2008 5:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback. In the end, we decided to go for the Convertible (bought it yesterday).

It wasn't that much extra, and gives us peace of mind. especially as some of our friends that go camping with us are not as "small" as us (there really is no polite way of saying that!!!) and we'd like everyone to have fun in the water.

We are hoping to go on our first adventure on Sunday

2maples49

Post by 2maples49 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi All,

I too am concerned about my wife and I being too much for a Lagoon 2. I am 5'11' and she is 5'10'' and together we are right at 350lbs. I would choose the AF Convertible, but it is too heavy for me to handle by myself at age 62 and with a back that is not very strong (aging is not for the timid). We would like to take the Lagoon 2 onto large lakes and large coastal estuaries where the waves can suddenly get pretty big. I know a bilge pump and spray skirts would probably be good to have.

I'm interested in adding the dropstitch floor to the Lagoon 2. Intuitively, I would think that since the floor is 2.85" thick, 18'' wide, and 9.5' long and full of air, it would have to add significant load capacity to the Lagoon 2. Is intuition correct in this case?

I also hear that the dropstitch floor increases the efficiency/speed of the Lagoon 2 by 33% to 50% which is a lot. How does the Lagoon 2 with the dropstitch floor perform with two people? I know it's slower than the AF. I have only paddled two other AE boats. They are the Firefly and the Straightedge2 (just me, and me and my wife). They are both great boats and fit certain purposes very well, but they are both slow. I was hoping that the Lagoon 2 with the dropstitch floor and two persons would be faster than either of these boats. Would that be the case?

Thanks for the info.. Love the AE boats, Dan

sonar

Post by sonar » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi 2maples49

Welcome to the forum.

I do not have the model you have but I am very sure somebody will be along soon that will be able to help you and answer your questions.

However welcome again to the forum.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:15 am

With the Height and weight you are talking about, the Convertible would be ideal, however, I feel that with the Dropstitch floor added, it will give the extra support and performance that you seek. You would need to get the AEDS1009 dropstitch floor to work with the Lagoon2. Unfortunately AE does not have any available at this time through the replacement parts page but you may find it through another vendor.

2maples49

Post by 2maples49 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi All,

I have to call on the group's expertise to tell me my understanding is incorrect.

Tell me if my science is correct. A boats load capacity when the hull is not filled with water is related only to the amount of water the hull displaces, and unrelated to an floatation chambers inside the hull. A boat and it's load floats when the hull displaces more water weight than the weight of the hull and load.

A boats ability to float when the hull is swamped is related to the boat and it's load's total weight compared to the weight of water displaced by the floatation chambers.

So regarding inflatable boats, the Lagoon 2 is smaller and lighter than the AF convertable. The foam floor is not much of an air chamber. A high pressure air floor is available as an extra cost option. It adds rigidity and speed to the boat, but I'm thinking is does not change load capacity because no additional water is displaced when the inside of the boat is dry. If the boat is swamped by a wave, then it adds load capacity because then additional water is displaced.

How's my thinking? Dan

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:59 pm

Something that 2maples Dan mentioned was that he found the Convertible too heavy to manage alone. I too find it more heavy than I want to lift by myself. I'd recommend that you consider getting two individual kayaks instead of the Convertible. They'll be lighter for lifting. The AdvancedFrame 10.5 is easy to handle, and the Sport version is even lighter. I find the Expedition is not too heavy for me to manage by myself, and I am not big or husky.
I'm a big fan of the Dragonfly/Lagoon model for myself, but it's a bit snug for a 6 foot tall person with long legs. My partner is 5'10" and he's borrowed it a couple of times.

mazzwh
Banned

Post by mazzwh » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:59 pm

good post ,thx very much

sonar

Post by sonar » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:13 am

mazzwh wrote:good post ,thx very much
Hi mazzwh

Welcome to the forum the site that is full of information for the advanced elements products.

And a great membership that should be able to help with anything in respect of advanced elements ..