Hanging up Dragonfly2 outer shell for drying

AE1003-R(2002-2006), AE1003-O(2007), AE1023-O(2008), AE1033-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

squinius

Hanging up Dragonfly2 outer shell for drying

Post by squinius » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:19 am

Up until recently in order to dry out the orange outer shell of my DF2, I have been laying it flat on the ground and propping up the fore and aft cockpit areas and the central cross

In order to dry out the orange outer shell of my DF2, one needs to get air to the inside of it. So just laying it down in the sun minus the inner tube is insufficient, unless you prop up the fore and aft cockpit areas and the central cross-piece in order to let air circulate; empty wine bottles have been just the right size!

However in the last week I've tried hanging it from the rafters of my garage using ropes attached to the lifting handles at either end, and another wrapped around the cross-piece. This seems to work better in terms of opening up the cavity for air to circulate, however I'm slightly concerned as to whether it's OK for the handles to take this weight for a couple of days (the inner tube has been removed).

What do you think?

Sq.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:55 am

As long as the tubes have been removed, it should be fine. The outer shell weighs about 12 lbs or so, so that isn't too much weight for the handle to support.

Jeremy

joanne09

Post by joanne09 » Thu May 06, 2010 7:29 am

Me and my friend also had a hard time figuring out how to dry out the DF2 completely. This is one good idea how to do it. I definitely agree.

Last edited by joanne09 on Fri May 07, 2010 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu May 06, 2010 10:14 am

I blot the inside of my Dragonfly with a towel to wipe nearly all the water out of it after washing. That speeds up the evaporation of the damp deck material!
Also, I put a paddle inside the empty outer shell, like a backbone, to make it easier to move around or stand up on end in the warm laundry room where it can dry quickly on a rainy weekend. The Dragonfly 2 is longer, but maybe you've got something longer that will do the trick, or the BackBone.