Newbie - Tips for folding and stowing

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

JoelAlbert

Newbie - Tips for folding and stowing

Post by JoelAlbert » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:52 pm

All,

We just bought our first inflatable, Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame DS-XL Series™ Kayak - AE1044DS-XL.

Our biggest issue is trying to stow the deflated kayak back into the bag provided. It just doesn’t fit that easily! Frustrating — not sure why the bag isn’t a bit bigger! Had our maiden voyage today and really liked how it paddled. But if we can’t reliable stow it back, we are going to have to return and look elsewhere.

We are just trying to stow the kayak! Would love to be able to do that, plus seat, skirt, and pump.

Any tips?

Are there more roomy bags available?

Thanks in advance....

Joel

grasshopp

Re: Newbie - Tips for folding and stowing

Post by grasshopp » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:03 am

You can always make you own bag. I did for my paddles and backbone for mine.

How ever they have folding instructions in the users manual. For mine (I have the AE1007 convertable) it says to fold it in five equal sections. starting at both ends. If I follow that, it stows in the bag very nice. Also, make sure you get ALL the air out of the tubes and any other parts. I had a problem with that. I also took a sharpie and after I got it folded just right I put a small dot at the fold points just so I could replicate each time.
Cheers,
Shane

JoelAlbert

Post by JoelAlbert » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:17 am

grasshopp wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:03 am
You can always make you own bag. I did for my paddles and backbone for mine.

How ever they have folding instructions in the users manual. For mine (I have the AE1007 convertable) it says to fold it in five equal sections. starting at both ends. If I follow that, it stows in the bag very nice. Also, make sure you get ALL the air out of the tubes and any other parts. I had a problem with that. I also took a sharpie and after I got it folded just right I put a small dot at the fold points just so I could replicate each time.
Cheers,
Shane
I like the sharpie idea!

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:08 am

Reversing all of the air out of the kayak by using your pump will help a great deal.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed May 15, 2019 9:50 pm

I fold up my kayak and kneel on it to press it flatter. On cold days it's a little harder to fit into not the bag. Take time, go carefully. It's not just you! It gets easier.