Bow Always Gets Wet

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Zippy

Bow Always Gets Wet

Post by Zippy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:09 am

I absolutely love my AdvancedFrame Kayak AE1012-R. Being a small woman, it allows me to kayak whenever I please-- solo. What is challenging-- getting the bow dried out. I've read comments that some people get no water their kayaks. I've tried putting towels in the bow, still it gets wet. I have not seen any holes. When drying, I don't take the inner tube completely out as it's attached. Read somewhere to waterproof the outside? Does this work? Any ideas? Even if there is no solution - I am very happy with my kayak. It's the best purchase I've made this year!
Last edited by Zippy on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Re: Bow Always Gets Wet

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:00 am

Zippy wrote:When drying, I don't take the inner tube completely out of the outer cover as I do the stern, since it's attached.
I am a little thrown off by this. The valve is located at the stern of the kayak so you should not be able to remove the stern portion of the tube unless the valve is unlocked from the outer cover. The bow is the area of the kayak that does not have a valve and can be pulled out.
I would suggest that depending on how often you paddle depends on how often you really need to give it a good cleaning and/or drying. If paddling often such as once a week or more, I would clean and/or dry every other week. If paddling once a month, clean and/or dry after each use.
I usually like to pull it completely apart and let it air dry for a couple of hours. After that, I wipe out any excess with a towel and then put it back together.

Zippy

Drying Kayak

Post by Zippy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks for your response. After I posted this question, I read more posts on the forum and found that the inner tube and outer shell can come completely apart - which allows for easy drying. Didn't realize this before. So.... problem solved. I am so crazy about my kayak I have been taking it out almost every day.

And yes, I'm such a newbie, I got bow and stern mixed up. Sorry for the confusion. Am having a fantastic time on the water and like it even better than hard shell kayaks.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:29 pm

After paddling, I put the half-inflated or 3/4 inflated kayak in the porch, out of the sunshine etc. After a day or two, the inside is pretty darned dry!