twist valves

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

m00ms

twist valves

Post by m00ms » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:02 am

hi all,i am new to forum so a quick hello.

i have recently brought an advanced framed and am having trouble inflating the twist valves sections.

i am using a bravo 6 hand pump and can pump up chambers 1&2 fine but when i try to inflate the 5 twist locks i am finding that i air leaks through the pump when i stop pumping?

i have tried using another hand pump but find this to be the same.

if anyone can help i would be most grateful.

thanks

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:11 am

Hey m00ms;

I'm not sure what the problem is. I've never used a Bravo hand pump before, but I have used a bicycle pump without any problems. Seems to me, if your pump is working correctly, it should not allow air to be released until it is disconnected from the valve. When you're pumping up the twist-type valves, you have to leave the pump connected until you twist the valves closed, otherwise air will escape.

When I'm pumping up the twist valves on my AdvancedFrame, I will usually hold my knee on the handle of my full sized pump, just to maintain the pressure I want, while I'm twisting the valve closed.

m00ms

Post by m00ms » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:52 am

when i pump them up i have to quickly turn twist valves before i loose all the air as the air escapes through pump.

its as if the two pumps i have tried do not have one way valves in them to prevent this.

i will try and put a small inline valve between pump hose and the twist valve to prevent this but would not expect to have to do so.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:42 pm

The twist valves are on the little chambers. I inflate those with my breath, not a pump. It's easy to blow and twist the valve without letting air escape. And I can't even blow up balloons, so these valves are really easy.

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:27 pm

NaturalPath wrote:
When I'm pumping up the twist valves on my AdvancedFrame, I will usually hold my knee on the handle of my full sized pump, just to maintain the pressure I want, while I'm twisting the valve closed.
/\ this is the key.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:40 am

I usually just hold the valve and hose attachment (while together) with one hand, and with the other hand I am pushing down on the pump. When the chamber is full, in one motion, I twist the Valve closed (with hose attachment still on it) and then remove attachment. Always works for me and never lose any air.