Double Coated Fabric?

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

bayman1

Double Coated Fabric?

Post by bayman1 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:59 pm

I was reading this and in it, it says that that the kayak has "double coated fabric." Could somebody give me a more detailed explanation as to what this means, like what is this fabric and what is it designed to protect against; rocks, sticks, etc.??
Last edited by bayman1 on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:12 am

There is no article when you go to the link? Not sure what they are referring to exactly.
There are two types of material on the kayak.
The top part of the outer cover is a high density Polyester that has a pvc undercoat. The pvc under coat prevents water from leaking through the material
The tube cover is also made of this material
The bottom part of the outer cover is PVC Tarpaulin. It is essentially two layers of pvc and a layer of mesh fabric that is between the two layers. the three layers are compressed together to make the material. A lot of inflatable use this material but may call it a different name. It is durable and can take its bumps and bruises.

marc.cardwell

Post by marc.cardwell » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:37 pm

baymen1, i have this boat and the single person version of it. it is quite sturdy. i've paddled in marshes w/ oyster shells, and was careful to stay clear. i wound up going over some, and it just scratched the hull some.

i've paddled creeks and small rivers in the boat, with LOTS of sticks, logs, rocks, and it perfumed like a champ. the group i went creek paddling with were dismissive, "oh, you'll puncture that raft." NOPE, i won't.

after trips where i think i should check the hull, i may find a scratch that i'll repair, and found one small hole once.