Tandem or not?

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

bayman1

Tandem or not?

Post by bayman1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:29 pm

Based on the research that I have done, I feel like I can not go wrong with purchasing an Advanced frame yak, but I am having trouble deciding which to buy. I can not decided whether I should go with this one person kayak or the tandem one.

I want to be able to take my wife out, but I do not envision her being out in the middle of a lake by herself in an inflatable, so I am probably leaning towards the tandem. However, I worry that I may not be able to use it when I am by myself. Can anyone tell me based on experience what they think of using the the tandem one when they are by themselves.

Thanks in advance!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:55 pm

If by chance the time comes where the wife would like to go out with you, she would be out of luck if you do not have the tandem or if you do not have a second single.
The tandem is versatile in the fact that when you choose to paddle it solo, you move one of the seats to the center of the kayak to the third set of buckles so that your weight is evenly distributed throughout the kayak. This is a lot different then most tandems where you sit in the rear seating when paddling solo and your weight is all towards the back.
I have the tandem and could not be happier. I can pace faster than the solo because the tandem is 4.5 feet longer. It is great for the family and friends too because sometimes one person wants to go out and sometimes two people want to go out. Like I said. A lot of versatility with the tandem.

dexstrom

Go with the tandem

Post by dexstrom » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:12 pm

I bought the tandem and it paddles just fine solo. My wife doesn't want her own kayak so the tandem works for us the few times a year she joins me. I primarily fish and the tandem gives me plenty of space for all the gear I haul around.

missfishhooks

Post by missfishhooks » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:10 pm

I went through this same thought process - tandem or two solos? I came across a discussion of this topic in a kayaking forum, where the most helpful comment said, "The secret to a happy marriage is two solo kayaks."

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:39 pm

It's not like you're going to be wrong with either choice. :D
The Convertible is conveniently a solo kayak or a double when needed. Two Advanced Frames are each convenient solo kayaks, and each is easy to carry.

I'd ask you: how strong are you? The Convertible is heavier than an Advanced Frame. I would not be able to lift it into or out of a car trunk, but I am a short woman. Many men report no trouble lifting or carrying a Convertible.
For some people, the right choice is a boat they can lift and carry.