Questions about AF DS-XL

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

joshcl

Questions about AF DS-XL

Post by joshcl » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:27 pm

Hi,

I just ordered an AdvancedFrame DS-XL. It's great to see one in blue! It will be replacing my red one I purchased in 2011 (passing it on so family can kayak with me!).

I was wondering about the drop stitch floor. From what I read it seems to make the kayak a little easier to track and a little faster. Can you tell me anything about the comfort of it? I read in another thread it can be uncomfortable after a while due to how hard it is.

Also, I noticed the DS-XL doesn't come with the paddle straps like the DS-XLC and newer advanced frame and expedition model. Could you tell me if there will be a way in the future to get some to add to the kayak?

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:17 pm

Josh,

The only way to add them would be with a glue-on d-ring kit. I think i may talked with you about this last week via email.

joshcl

Post by joshcl » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:47 pm

No, you're right, I did speak with you about it. I ended ordering the blue one and was just hoping in the future it'd be possible to get a blue strap, but I understand it that's not possible.

Regarding the drop stitch floor, can you say how hard it is? Is it something that I'll need to add some padding (like a towel) to the seat for comfort? Or is that only if I'm out paddling for hours?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:25 am

If you are out paddling 1-2 hours, the drop stitch floor should be comfortable enough. It will provide rigidity to the hull of the kayak to improve the overall performance of the kayak.
For longer trips, we suggest that you add some more padding under your seat. It can start to get uncomfortable because of the rigidity. Imagine sitting on cement for a few hours : )

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:36 am

JCooley, or anyone else for that matter, what is meant by a "drop stitch floor"? No trade secrets, just a hint about why it is called that and why it's important. Thanks. Pringles

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:26 am

It is called drop stitch because there are thousands of fibers stitched in between the layers of the floor. These prevent the floor from expanding and creating a rounded lump look like in the standard floor or any pool float per say.
You can see an image and description here on our SUP page.
http://www.advancedelements.com/hula11.html

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:22 pm

Thank you. The image helps.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:02 pm

To look at, a drop stitch floor looks to me much like a styrofoam boogie board or surfboard. It feels light in the hand, and my hand can't squeeze it (note I am not a big galoot, but a wimpy little person).
I've sat on a drop stitch floor for half an hour and didn't have any complaints about it being hard, but then I am a plump person who has my own padding. You might find it uncomfortable after an hour, so be prepared to fold up a bathtowel or use a sit-upon cushion.
Freya Hoffmeister, kayaker extraordinaire, sits upon a gel pad in her kayak. The gel pad is the kind sold for people to use in wheelchairs. The gel pad doesn't get harmed by seawater, and if it gets dirty she just rinses it off in the sea.