Drop-Stitch floor and tight foot room

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

output555

Drop-Stitch floor and tight foot room

Post by output555 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:20 am

I just got the AF DS-XL with the upgraded drop-stitch floor and find that my size 10.5 feet are pushing up against the deck cover. After a few minutes this gets pretty uncomfortable and I have to partially unzip the deck cover to get more room for my toes. This hardly seems normal since my feet and height (5' 10") are pretty average. I'm wondering if the DS floor makes things more cramped. Any suggestions for fixing this?

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:19 am

Yeah, due to the floor now being a rock hard platform, with no give to it, your feet will sit up higher, although not by much. With that said, I have size 11.5 feet and do not have any issues with that setup in the Expedition so here's some suggestions:

(1) Take your shoes off if you're not doing that already. Use neoprene booties or fivefingers, or something similar if you want to paddle with something on your feet. I just pull my keens off once I get in the yak.

(2) Make sure that your deck lifts are fully inflated to lift the deck up all the way.

(3) One last thing...you're not combining the DS Floor with the backbone are you?

output555

Post by output555 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:27 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Nope, not using the backbone with the DS, just the DS alone. I wear water slippers which are almost the same as going barefoot. I've tried going a little higher than 2PSI inflating the AF to raise the deck but even this made no difference. I guess the alternative is to reduce the DS' PSI to less than 7 so there will be some give in the floor. Otherwise, I may have to go with the standard floor and BB configuration.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:01 pm

I wonder if you're paddling with your legs straight and flat, so that your feet are sticking straight up. If you paddle with legs slightly flexed, your toes will be aimed slightly forward even if your ankles don't change position. That might make enough room for your feet to feel comfortable.

output555

Post by output555 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:12 am

Yes, I tend to sit with my legs fully extended (starting out, at least) so that does effect the height of my feet. What I've started to do is unzip the deck about halfway, allowing both my knees to bend and my feet to lay flatter on the floor. I'm also inflating the floor to the minimum to help gain a mm or two.

Thanks for the advice.