AdvancedFrame Tracking and deck question

AE1002(2002-2005), AE1012(2006-Present), AE1017-O(2009-Present)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

wuschnik

AdvancedFrame Tracking and deck question

Post by wuschnik » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:52 am

I tried my advancedframe for the first time this weekend and i noticed that it kept turning to the right very noticeably. Even when i paddled very softly on the left (my weak side btw) it still went to the right. I had to paddle very hard on the right side to compensate. I noticed the fin on the bottom was bent but i heard that really does not effect tracking. Anyone have any tips to improve the tracking? and what might be the cause?

The second question I had was regarding the deck. during paddling the water would drip onto the deck and would drip through the zipper area. Anyway suggestions to improve this?

Thanks

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:29 am

As far as the kayak paddling to the right, it could of been that either your main tube was kinked or that your floor was off center. Check to make sure there is no kinks in the tube first once it is inflated. If there isn't make sure that your floor is center. If the floor is off to one side over the other, it will cause the kayak to veer more towards one direction over the other.
With regards to water leaking through the zipper, make sure that the kayak is fully inflated and that your deck lifts are inflated. You can also push up the deck a little with your knees. Other people have stuck things in the zipper opening as well like some removable wax to help block the opening.

Jeremy
8)

KayakJack

Re: AdvancedFrame Tracking and deck question

Post by KayakJack » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:51 am

I found a simple trick for the water through zipper problem. It's ugly but it works for the most part and it's cheap.

Slap a long strip of "stain-free" duct tape, or waterproof masking tape over the closed zipper, after setup.

wuschnik wrote:I tried my advancedframe for the first time this weekend and i noticed that it kept turning to the right very noticeably. Even when i paddled very softly on the left (my weak side btw) it still went to the right. I had to paddle very hard on the right side to compensate. I noticed the fin on the bottom was bent but i heard that really does not effect tracking. Anyone have any tips to improve the tracking? and what might be the cause?

The second question I had was regarding the deck. during paddling the water would drip onto the deck and would drip through the zipper area. Anyway suggestions to improve this?

Thanks

wuschnik

Post by wuschnik » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:17 am

When checking if the main tube is kinked is this with the tube zipped up or not? how would i go about getting rid of the kink? thanks again
JCOOLEY wrote:As far as the kayak paddling to the right, it could of been that either your main tube was kinked or that your floor was off center. Check to make sure there is no kinks in the tube first once it is inflated. If there isn't make sure that your floor is center. If the floor is off to one side over the other, it will cause the kayak to veer more towards one direction over the other.
With regards to water leaking through the zipper, make sure that the kayak is fully inflated and that your deck lifts are inflated. You can also push up the deck a little with your knees. Other people have stuck things in the zipper opening as well like some removable wax to help block the opening.

Jeremy
8)

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:02 pm

You'll be able to tell while the tube is zipped inside its cover. Just look into the kayak to the front a back. See if you notice any of the tube protruding into the kayak. If it is kinked in any area, it means that the tube is not aligned properly. YOu need to make sure that the bow and stern area of the tube are pushed to the front and back as far as they can go. Also make sure that the ribs are in their webbing slots on the tube cover.

Jeremy
8)

wuschnik

Post by wuschnik » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:22 pm

The rib was not in the slot in the bow. I will try it again and thanks for the advice.
JCOOLEY wrote:You'll be able to tell while the tube is zipped inside its cover. Just look into the kayak to the front a back. See if you notice any of the tube protruding into the kayak. If it is kinked in any area, it means that the tube is not aligned properly. YOu need to make sure that the bow and stern area of the tube are pushed to the front and back as far as they can go. Also make sure that the ribs are in their webbing slots on the tube cover.

Jeremy
8)

SF48

Post by SF48 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:21 am

I've found that to reduce the water getting into the boat through the bow zipper, I keep a towel folded lenghtwise under the bow cords. I've included a couple of pics where you can see what I mean from a paddle w/my son earlier this year. The towel absorbs the bow splash, then I just wring it out at stops. I've found this to work quite well.

PS - I also put a towel folded lenghtwise in between my legs to catch any water that sneaks in. This keeps that annoying trickle away from the seat area. Also, when the trip is long, you're not using a spray skirt, and your legs are getting burned you can put the towel over your legs in lieu of sunscreen.

river_rat

tracking with backbone

Post by river_rat » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:05 am

A backbone makes all the difference in the world. It's a bit tricky at first to get it centered, though. I feel for the fin and make sure the backbone is centered above it, same for the front skeg (is that the right term?). I'm thinking of inflating it in my house, then making absolutely sure the backbone is straight and then marking the inside hull for centering as well as proper placement of the backbone center seem in terms of fore and aft placement.

eproetz

Post by eproetz » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:29 am

That's exactly what I did. Inflate in the house, align the BB and then trace the outline of the BB with a Sharpie on the bottom. Earl

river_rat

sharpie?

Post by river_rat » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:41 pm

That's great. Do you find that moisture smudges the Sharpie marks? Thanks.

BrianAZ

Post by BrianAZ » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:44 am

JCOOLEY wrote:As far as the kayak paddling to the right, it could of been that either your main tube was kinked or that your floor was off center. Check to make sure there is no kinks in the tube first once it is inflated. If there isn't make sure that your floor is center. If the floor is off to one side over the other, it will cause the kayak to veer more towards one direction over the other.

Jeremy
8)
Yeah, good luck with the "make sure there are no kinks in the main tube" advice... I have an AF Expedition. It seems like no matter what I try, no matter how carefully I spread out the kayak before inflation, no matter how I twist and turn the main tubes, no matter how much I experiment with inflation techniques, I still get odd looking kinks and bends in the bow or stern parts of the main tube.... I'd swear there's just too much inflatable tube inside the zippered cover for them or something...

I'm sure it's just something I'm doing wrong. :roll: Right, JCOOLEY? :wink:

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:12 am

BrianAZ wrote:

Jeremy
8)

Yeah, good luck with the "make sure there are no kinks in the main tube" advice... I have an AF Expedition. It seems like no matter what I try, no matter how carefully I spread out the kayak before inflation, no matter how I twist and turn the main tubes, no matter how much I experiment with inflation techniques, I still get odd looking kinks and bends in the bow or stern parts of the main tube.... I'd swear there's just too much inflatable tube inside the zippered cover for them or something...

I'm sure it's just something I'm doing wrong. :roll: Right, JCOOLEY? :wink:
Maybe, maybe not. I personally have found that I have the most difficulty straightening the Expedition than the other models. I think it may have to do with the fact that the bow and stern area of the outer cover is more narrow than the other models. It seems to pinch the tube in a little more. I have always been able to get the kinks out though. Sometimes it requires me only partially inflating the kayak then sitting inside and pushing the tube either forward or turning around and pushing it backwards with my feet while pulling the opposite direction on the outer cover. This is basically making sure that I have it pushed as far forward as possibly into the bow and stern of the kayak. If it seems as though nothing will work no matter how hard you try, email us with some pictures. I can determine how serious the kinks are and if there is something you can do to get rid of them or if there is actually something wrong with the kayak. A lot of times, if there isn't enough air in the main tubes, it will kink in. It may take a little extra pressure to straighten the tube out. Let me know.

Jeremy
8)

BladeZealot

Post by BladeZealot » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:59 am

Interesting...

I have very little problems with my Expedition tracking nicely...if I do I simply adjust my legs {and/or the deck bag} to compensate for the "balance" {and this is rare}. I'm usually on the river 6-9 hours at a time. I've used my Expedition on probably 50 day trips and several overnighters and have never once felt the need to re-adjust the columns once I'm on the water. I always have from 15 to 40 pounds of gear with me stowed behind the seat and on deck {not that this necessarily has any bearing on the subject}.

The only complaint I have is no drain hole.

krystofr

Post by krystofr » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:47 pm

Same problem here with my Expedition. I've read every post on this forum pertaining to the kink issue. I put the ribs in correctly, pushed the partially-inflated tubes out with my feet, have good pressure, etc. It's like the tubes inside are simply too long for the kayak. Is it possible I just got a dud? Jeremy, maybe you can send me your email so I can send you pictures? I don't know what else to try. lovemy68cuda@gmail.com